Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

Have a 2000 freightliner classic medium hood. My accent lights

Customer Question

Have a 2000 freightliner classic medium hood. My accent lights around the bottom of the cab started flickering a week ago and now are gone. As far as I can see, I have two hot wires, or maybe four, powering these lights. But with the medium hood,I can't see around the back of the engine block to see where they originate. All four sets were flickering at the same time so I thought that points to a common origin, or do these lights feed through a relay, and if so which one,cause most of my labels have disappeared. Did disconnect the light switch this morning,nothing looks burned or loose. Also, my visor lights are still functioning, no issue there
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you checked to verify that there is no power going to the lights themselves and the issue isn't a ground problem? May I get the full VIN so I can pull a diagram to see where the fuse is located? Those lights shouldn't be on a relay. They should be on a circuit breaker only. A bad circuit breaker goes out like that. Also, on the passenger side, on the firewall, under the hood there should be a large plug with a bunch of wires. That is where the wires go into the cab. That plug tends to loosen up a lot and cause the power issue to those lights. Check that plug and the wires there to make sure there isn't an issue there. Then I would check the 15 amp circuit breaker for the lights to see if that is causing the issue. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still paythe website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Followups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will giveyou an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!Jeremy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. The accent lights are all grounded individually to the stainless trim. So I figured that ruled out a ground issue. I will locate this plug and check that. My vin is 1FUPDSEB8YLB63719. Also, it's just a one wire harness that plugs into the sleeper left and right sides and the cab left and right side as far as I can see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I do NOT have a plug on the passenger side firewall. Looks like all the wires exit the electrical box through two separate looms, no connectors. Only plug I have is on driver firewall for Ecm and related sensors
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for the delay in responding. I had a driver not paying attention when he pulled into the hard and ended up hitting me. I couldn't jump out of the way fast enough. So I have been getting checked out due to it. I'm going to opt out so someone can respond to you faster. Thanks.