Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 2005 freightliner columbia with c-15 cat motor 10…

Customer Question
i have 2005 freightliner columbia...
i have 2005 freightliner columbia with c-15 cat motor 10 speed ultra shift. the transmition geat indicator flashes the letter F . The motor wont turn over.. I can hear a clicking noise coming from the valve cover on cylinders 1&2 . Would you have any idea what might be wrong ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 day by:
7/13/2015
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The letter F is a failure mode on the transmission and as long as you have that code, you will not get the engine to start. The ECM isn't getting the signal that the transmission is in neutral to allow a safe start. The F indicates a failed component. This can be the XY shifter, the clutch, a sensor, anything. You will need to get the transmission scanned to determine the fault code. Sometimes you can turn the key on, then turn it off and back on 5 times and the transmission will go into a recycle mode where it resets itself. Try that to see if you can get the truck to start and drive to a shop. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still paythe website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Followups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will giveyou an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician