Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Rtlo18918b When in high range in any gear the trans will

Customer Question
slip like the clutch was...
rtlo18918b When in high range in any gear the trans will slip like the clutch was pushed in. IF i let of the fuel once or twice trans re-engages and all is ok. it does this about 3 times a day in a 12 hour period. I have been told it may be insert valve
or splitter valve or something like that.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/9/2015
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. You are correct in it sounding like the splitter valve on the transmission. It sounds like that valve has gone bad and the rear box is going into neutral state and build the air back up and slides back and puts the gear back into drive state. I would have that valve checked. It is either leaking through the internal seal or there is debris in it like water, oil, or a piece of dirt. I'm leaning on the internal seal being bad from what you have described. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still paythe website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Followups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will giveyou an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!Jeremy
Can you check valve without removing transmission? Or transmission must come out.
It's a 4 bolt box that houses the I forgot to ask, is this the AS (Auto Shift) or the MS (Manual Shift) style of transmission? Both valves are external, it just depends on AS or MS on what it looks like and where it is located. The MS is on the rear of the transmission with 4 little air hoses going to it. The AS has 2 air lines going to it. To get an idea of what it looks like, look at page 31 HERE. It's a 4 bolt box mounted on the rear of the transmission.
I'm sorry I have a ms transmission. My question is can it be changed without dropping transmission. I'm getting truck serviced tomorrow if it can be done while still in truck I will have shop do it. If it requires removal of Trans I will wait.
No, it does not require removal of the transmission. The valve is external. i apologize for my late response. I had a wrecker come in that ended up hitting the towed truck on another truck on the lot. Thanks
I see you looked at this. Was there any more assistance needed?
Took out splitter changed or rings put a new air regulator on it. Piston was a little worn but he said it's ok. Still the same.
When they changed the splitter valve, did the y flush the lines? For it to still continue doing it, the issue may be in the rear box on the transmission. There is a bearing in there that when it gets worn, can cause the issue as well, but the piston and o-rings is the biggest culprit. Now that it was repaired, that only leaves that bearing in the box. You can replace that bearing with the transmission mounted, if you have room on the back of it, otherwise that will need the transmission dropped, stood up on a stand, and the box popped off to replace that bearing in it. They do get worn for they do a lot of work compared to the rest of the transmission. I was hoping it wasn't that, but it is looking like it is. I was really hoping it was the o-rings in that valve.
I'm not sure if they flushed the lines. I will check. Could this come from a crimped air line that we can't see. Just a thought. The bearing you are talking about what is the name of it so I can share with shop.
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician