Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I'm putting a long block in my International dump truck.

Customer Question

Hi, I'm putting a long block in my International dump truck. While swapping everything over I noticed where the crank sensor sits in the timing cover, it is a different thickness and the sensor is too long. I was wondering if there was a shorter crank sensor available or if I have to go through the hassle of swapping the timing cover.
Original engine serial # ***** Do not have #'s off of the new long block.
I have been chasing my tail with Cat and the vendor that sold us the long block.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Let me look up some info on this. Be back shortly.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
The early C10 engines had a chopper wheel on the crank gear for the sensor to read. On the later engines the chopper wheel was removed and they knocked a tooth off the crank gear to read the signal.
However both of these engines use the same sensor. But the front covers are different.
Also. You will need to change the ECM to read the new gear tooth signal. There is different software in the ECM for a gear compared to a chopper wheel.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.