Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

The engine is a 29 hp Perkins Diesel in a sailboat. We took…

Customer Question
The engine is a 29...
The engine is a 29 hp Perkins Diesel in a sailboat. We took it out for a sea trial and at about 3350 it went up to 200 . It held there. At about 2850 it went down to 190 and stayed there at 2500 it was 180. I suspect the engine is a rebuild. I plan to
run it at the 2800 ,190 degress , that is, if I buy the boat. Will 190 cause localized heating or scaling? The engine has about 125 hors on the Rebuild ...that is if it is a rebuild. The total engine hours : 2380. I value your opinion. anything you can tell
me is appreciated. Also when I try and pay the expiration months shown do show 08 which is my month.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
7/4/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
With a thermostat that starts to open at 180 degrees, which is common thermostat, the engine will run 180-190 at all times. It does not hurt the engine at all, as long as temperature stays below boiling temperature, which is dependent of the coolant. Just water, 212, with anti-freeze add another 10 degrees and add 2 degrees for each lb of pressure cap. So with anti-freeze and a 7 lb cap on radiator or cooler, you can go well above 230 with no engine damage, and a diesel runs better the hotter it is! .So your 190 at 2800, is no problem at all!