spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

I drive a 2006 International 7500 series dump truck with the

Customer Question

I drive a 2006 International 7500 series dump truck with the DT570 engine in it. It has developed an overheating problem but only does so on a long hard pull such as loaded pulling a hill. The engine light comes on at 23and the water light at 235. After cresting the hill the temp slowly comes back down and light goes off. My mechanic has replaced thermostadts, fan clutch and egr after it cracked and started pulling coolant out of the radiator. The fan belt was also replaced after I told him I could hear the belt slip under higher R.P.M's Sometimes it sounds as so the fan clutch is not locking in
completely. It seems that in the morning when the engine is cooler the fan clutch locks in completely. Also once in awhile the belt tensioner will chatter but not all the time. The radiator has been washed out periodically hoping this would help. It seems to help a little because this truck in used in dusty conditions and the fan clutch blows dust every where when it locks up.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible that the belt slipping could have polished the grooves slick on the pulley on the crank shaft or possibly the belt tensioner is defective or weak?
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can !
Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dont have them in frontof m e, I'll have to get back with you tomorrow.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
That's ok for now . Can you hear the fan engaging to cool down the engine ? It should come on at about 212 F and comes off at about 204 F .
Also You mentionned that you are in dusty environments . How is your rad ? Is it possibly plugged up and air cannot pass through very well ? Do you steam clean the front regularly seeing as you work in a dusty environment frequently , I would suspect the rad may be plugged up .
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question and requesting me.
I'm usually online during daytime hours.
Yes its possible fan is slipping when hot.
If you have a air clutch fan ,confirm it is locked up and not slipping with engine off, fan engaged,,if you can turn fan blade by hand either the belts are glazed (you would see fan turn but not belts) or clutch facing is worn and needs replaced.Also listen for air leaks,,leaks would mean it needs to be resealed or replaced.
If this is a hydraulic fan, you can check fan speed with a scanner to confirm its locked up reading 100%.
Since you said in your question you have washed out radiator on outside and it still gets hot, its possible the radiator need to be removed and professionally cleaned,,a flush will not clean good enough.
You can confirm by using a temp gun to see how well radiator is working,,you should see a 20 degrees temp drop from inlet to outlet of radiator,,check at hoses and all across radiator,,look for hot spots.
Its also possible gage is reading high confirm accuracy of gage with heat gun.
Copy and paste this link to open in new tab,,you can purchase a temp gun for around $20 so shop around.
https://www.google.com/search?q=temp+gun&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=laser+temp+gun
If you have questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
If you want me to get credit from JA for assisting you, please make sure to rate on my answer.
Thanks
spanky