Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I am working on a c13 that needs to regen. It had a bad

Customer Question
exhaust temp sensor that was...
I am working on a c13 that needs to regen. It had a bad exhaust temp sensor that was preventing it from regening. I changed out the sensor and was able to start a manual regen but it will only run for about five to ten minutes and then fail. I replaced
the filters for the fuel lines to the A&D head but still same problem. What else could be preventing the regen.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
7/1/2015
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 2 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I can help you with this.
Most often when a regen starts and only runs for a short time and does not complete. The problem is either clogged filter fittings, which you have replaced. Or a faulty ARD head. I see this all the time. Since you have replaced the filter fittings. I would change the ARD head next.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Replaced ard head and still same problem
Thanks for the information.
Does it start a regen then stop? Or does it not start at all?
It starts then stops
Thanks for the information.
What codes are you getting?
There are no active codes
Are you using Cat ET software?
Active event is 3719-0
Thanks for the information.
The 3719-0 is common to have when the system needs a regen. It's very odd to have it stop a regen without leaving a code. Normally when this happens the system logs a 3474-31 Loss of combustion or a 3711-31 regen inhibited due to low exhaust temp.
I would not suspect a spark problem as it would not even start a regen.
Most often when it stops regening the problem is the ARD or fittings. Since you have replaced these. I would next suspect an air problem. I would want to run an air system verification test. If there is a air problem. An air system verification test should show the problem.
Thanks. Let me check these against the spec. Be back shortly.
All the readings are within specs.
Are you sure there are no other codes in any other screen?
What does the screen say when the regen stops? Do you get an error?
There are no other codes. Screen pops up and says regen failed. No error codes or no messages saying why regen failed.
Thanks for the information.
The only other thing I have seen cause a regen to fail and not set a code is a plugged DPF.
Go to your status screen and look at the differential pressure across the DPF. If it is higher than 2 psi. The DPF must be removed and cleaned.
If the DPF is not plugged. I must suspect a bad out of the box new ARD head. I have had this happen to me many times.
There are no stats for differential pressure in the stays screen. I went one by one through them all
It depends on your version of ET. You may need to go and create a new group and select it from the list. I'm sure there's one somewhere.
DPF #1 differential pressure 0.1 psi
DPF #2 differential pressure 0.0 psi
This is with engine at idle
Thanks for the information.
Check it at 1400 RPMs
#1 0.2psi
#2 0.0 psi
That's plenty clear.
The only thing I can suspect is the new ARD head is faulty or one of the temp sensors, EGT 1, 2, or 3 are not reading accurately and causing the system to abort the regen.
Is there a way to check if the ARD head is bad. I already replaced EGT sensors 1&2.
Unfortunately not. I am sorry.
About 1 out of every 6 ARD heads I install are faulty.
With the air system ok, no codes, DPF not restricted. I can't think of anything else other than an ARD head.
Could possible be EGT 3 could be reading wrong. This is the flame boundary sensor.
Could you tell me the temps of all three temps just before the regen stops?
Now it won't start the regen. Gives an error code of two. Says diagnostic code detected but there are no active codes
Error code 002 indicates a diagnostic code is present.
What version of ET do you have?
002 can also be caused by a problem with your computer or the wiring harness on the engine.
Version 2011a v1.0
Thanks for the information.
That's a late enough version.
Is the DPF light on?
Have you tried using the dash switch to activate a regen?
I will check on that in the morning and get back with you
Ok. Sounds good. Lee me posted my friend.
Only lights on are the amber engine light and the red engine light. It will not let me run regent using dash switches.
I see.
Is the Park brake set and you are holding the momentary switch down for 5 seconds? Make sure accelerator pedal and clutch are not on. If this is what you did.
I must suspect a truck wiring or et till wiring issue if you are getting a 002 code. The only way to be sure is to use another Et.
With only a 3719. The system should perform a regen.
Ok. I'll see if I can get someone with ET to come by and see what there's does
Ok sounds good. Let me know how you make out.
Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert