Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
30303843

So i'm a longtime gasoline mechanic but fairly new to the diesels

Customer Question

So i'm a longtime gasoline mechanic but fairly new to the diesels. My boss recently bought two 1997 4700s (both with T444E) to haul water on and guess who the lucky dog is that gets to work on them. About 2 weeks ago I replaced the glow plugs in one because i had to cycle them about 3 times before it would start. It has done fine since. Today, he called and said something under the hood was making a noise and wouldn't cut off. When i got there, the electric brake motor was running and wouldn't cut off with the key off. I pulled the relay for the brake and it stopped. I put it back in and the motor stayed off, but then the truck wouldn't start. Spins over fast but doesn't even try to hit. No smoke coming out of the exhaust. Nothing. I thought, maybe its like my 99 powerstroke. I had to replace the cps recently on it, so i put one on the IH. Still nothing. Any ideas?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Andy !Can we start with the last 8 digit of the vin number please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WH495582
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info ! I will send you a hard start /no tart troubleshooting chart for that engine .
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytu55d5ppfzhg3a/444e%20hard%20start%20and%20performance%20from%201997.pdf?dl=0
If you have any trouble , let me know and we can continue perhaps on skype and see what we find . Thanks .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So i had a friend with a HD scanner come by. He scanned the truck and got code sid 0254, controller #1 fault. What would you suggest next?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a ecm pin diagram so i can make sure its getting power?
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnwti68rhhskc18/t444%20e%20codes%20and%20wiring%20from%2097%20on.pdf?dl=0
Here it is ! I recommend disconnecting from the ECM when doing these tests and also to use a load light to make sure the wiring is able to carry current.
I would start by checking the pin drag at the inline fuses sitting above the batteries in the battery box . Also check the connectors for damage or bad pin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So far nothing of note. I swapped the idm relay with another and it started and i cut it off. When i switched the key back on, all the relays started clicking like crazy (including glow plug). I'll touch base with you when i get a chance to work on it again. Possibly tomorrow depending on weather.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I looked at the wiring diagram you sent me though. None of the wire numbers (e.g. 97 AJ, 97 GD, etc.) matched the wires on my truck. Strange.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Oops I think I sent the wrong one at first ! Here is the correct one !
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjlwm2u86lmvgbh/444e%20codes%20and%20wiring%202001.pdf?dl=0