Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 1991 peterbilt 379 with a cummings n14 celect , the…

Customer Question
I have a 1991 peterbilt...
I have a 1991 peterbilt 379 with a cummings n14 celect , the engine is going to a safe idle mode when the oil preasure gauge drops to zero. the dealer ship advised me to replace the ecm which I did but the problem is still the same. now they have advise
me to change the oil pressure sensor but I cant find it. the manual I have tells me the location and how it looks but the people at Peterbilt send me a hole different thing and don't know where the location is. can you guid me to the location of my oil pressure
sensor ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
6/30/2015
Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 3 years ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Hi Customer, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
If you are loosing oil pressure down to zero on gage red check engine light should come on and shut down engine after 15 seconds, not just keep it at idle.
Do me a favor and pull codes using cruise switches or diagnostic switch, here how below.
Here is a video of all sensor locations on this engine please copy and open in new tab to view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZedwtvXS4s0
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a three digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code,then third.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner.
Let me know codes
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see,
smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same
A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took
to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me
know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks
spanky