Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have an issue with my 4 cyl Turbo NPR. when i press on the…

Customer Question
I have an issue with...
I have an issue with my 4 cyl Turbo NPR. when i press on the acceleration pedal, it struggles to take off. if i let the gas go then push it again, it takes off and i can hear the turbo sound.( sometimes i have to depress the pedal multiple times) i changed the TPS sensor attached to the pedal and still having the same issue. any suggestions ? when the truck doesn't take off properly, check trans light starts blinking. once i let the gas go and press it again, it takes off fine without check trans light blinking.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
6/28/2015
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the complete engine model number and what are you getting for fault codes?

there is no obdII on this truck so can't get fault codes. my engine is a 4 cylinder turbo diesel. where can i find the details ?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Hi Sam, What is the year of your truck? The engine info will either be on top of the valve cover or on the side of the engine on a tag. Let me know

It's a 1999 Isuzu npr. I will get you the engine details soon

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
The 1995½-1998 model year code retrieval procedure still uses a diagnostic connector, next to the brake master cylinder, under dash near driver's left knee. It should be a Green, Three Wire Connector. Jumper the two outer wires with a paper clip, which are Yellow/Black and solid Black, on the three wire diagnostic connector, observe the flashes on the Check Trans Indicator Lamp. Codes are 2 digit, lamp will flash 10's digit then a pause followed by the one's digit. When all the codes have been displayed they will repeat. Even flashing, about 1/2 a second continously means no codes.To Clear Codes on 1995½-1998 models, remove the number 11 fuse from the glove box fuse panel.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Let me know the engine info so I can be sure to get you the correct info. Here is some more info however this may not match exactly what you have without knowing the info from the engine tag. http://diesel.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/4Hk1-6HK1-Engine-Diagnostic-and-Drivability-Student.pdf

Thanks Dan. The link appears to be invalid.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Copy and paste this in your browser. I am logging out gor the night and have to be out on the road for the day tomorrow. I will be available tomorrow late in the eve after work if that is ok. If not I will have to opt out so the question will post back on the board for other experts to see. Let me know. I will need that engine model to know which manual to refer to to get you the right info.http://diesel.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/4Hk1-6HK1-Engine-Diagnostic-and-Drivability-Student.pdf

That's ok. Thanks so mu check for the heads up. Talk to you later tomorrow or tuesday.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Ok sounds good.

Hi Dan,

sorry been extremely busy. i will get to it tonight and will send you the info. Thanks!

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Thanks for the update. I have been out straight myself this week as well. I have been checking followups late nights when I get home.

Sorry for the delay Dan. i will get to it this friday ( tomorrow) and will continue troubleshooting. Thanks again

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Sounds good. Pleasure to help. I have been buried in field work the last few weeks myself so I completely understand. Depending on the day within the next week there might be a delay in my response if I am on the road as I have been pulling doubles on some days to try to get caught up. I will reply back on my available log ins if you need further help.

Hello Dan,

i tried to follow your instructions today. my truck is a 99 so it doesn't have a black and yellow cable. i attached a picture of the connectors i have. the engine model seems to be wiped off from the heat i assume. here is a picture attached too.

https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/FoqMds1XfqKyuTC

https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/JkUwCssNqr642lR

how was this question marked as finished ? Dan i have not heard from you...

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Hi, Thanks for the follow up. I have been right out straight lately and have not had much time on the site unfortunately. SIf the trottle position sensor and harness are good I would verify the fuel system is OK with no restrictions. leaks, or sucking in air between the tank and pump. Try installing an inline clear hose on the suction side or sight glass to watch for bubbles. Also to confirm a fuel suction problem you can run a separate line from the tank inlet to the pump to see if the problem remains. Let me know.
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson