Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am currently working on a 14L Detroit 2007 60 series

Customer Question
hello i am currently working...
hello i am currently working on a 14L Detroit 2007 60 series there is oil in coolant 2 months ago i replaced the oil cooler and still has oil in coolant i keep cleaning it out but still going through could it be the liners head gasket?? i just replaced
the erg cooler last week it was wasting coolant but i know it has nothing to do with it truck has over 1mil miles on it already
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
6/24/2015
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi Alfredo, Oil in the coolant is oil cooler as engine oil pressure is higher than coolant system pressure. Coolant in the crankcase oil would be a liner or liner seal issue. The EGR cooler will allow coolant to burn off in the combustion chamber and give off excessive white smoke and leave white ash deposits at the exhaust manifold and turbo. The best way to flush the cooling system to be sure all the oil is out is by using Cascade brand powdered dishwashing detergent and water. Run to temp for about 20 minutes at 1/3 to half throttle, drain and repeat as necessary until clean, then a final straight water flush before filling with coolant. Try the flushing technique first to be sure it is not residual from the first failure. LEt me know
that is what i used the cascade 2 boxes and have flushed it at least 6-7 times and again i just flushed it again and sent it to colorado with clean coolant but everytime it comes back it always has about 1 gallon of oil in the coolant and there is no coolant in the crankcase just did oil change on it monday
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago
Thanks for the update. Either the oil cooler is still leaking or you have a head gasket, head, or block problem ( crack etc.) Pressure test the cooling system with the pan down and inspect for the source. LEt me know
if it was too be my head gasket or head wouldn't it be throwing smoke through exhaust and ill do the pressure test how much psi is good enough for the test
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago
Equal to the pressure cap which should be around 15 PSI
Ok I'll double check that and to check the oil cooler to make sure it's still good?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago
Sounds good.... The oil cooler you remove clean and pressure test . you can have any radiator shop pressure test it. Or make your own adapters to pressurize it and put it in a water tank to look for bubbles not to exceed engine oil pressure.