Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2002 kenworth with a c15 in it with code 42 and the…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 kenworth...
I have a 2002 kenworth with a c15 in it with code 42 and the cruise wont work the cruise is stuck flashing the code
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
6/23/2015
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 2 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me! I will try and help you out.
No code 42 can not disable the cruise control.
Code 42 indicates either the timing has not been calibrated. Or that the cam to crank sensors are off more than 3 degrees.
Has a new ECM been installed on the engine? Or has the head or cam been removed?
yes it had a cat remain engine put in it
Thanks for the information.
With flash code 42 and a new reman engine. You most likely have either a timing calibration needed or the cam to crank timing is off. If it needs calibration. ET will show a code 22-13. If the cam to crank timing is off. There will be a code 22-11.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
biggest thing is he would he would like the cruise working it keeps flashing the trouble codes at all times, not when you shut the cruise off and hit set.
its code 22-11
Thanks for the information.
Yes when there is a code 22-11. It will keep flashing until the problem is repaired. The engine has either the cam gear timing off or the idler gear backlash off.
When this code is active the engine also will not have full power. I would have this corrected as soon as possible.
If your ET showed the cruise on/off/ and set/resume working, you may have another item like a clutch switch or brake switch keeping the cruise from working. If they all are working, I must suspect this code does stop the cruise control. It does not say it in the troubleshooting manual.
one more thing what are the engine oil pressure spec on this eng its a 6nz
Sure no problem.
The minimum oil pressure hot at idle is 15 psi.
The minimum oil pressure hot when the RPMS are above 1400 is 40 psi.
Let me know if you need more help.
Here is an oil pressure chart for a 6NZ. Just copy and paste this link into your internet browser.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3v6c89pxxl6rx1k/OILP.jpg?dl=0
Let me know if you need more help.
Hey.
I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!
Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert