Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2008 f650 with the cat c7 r head motor. 120k miles. Starts pe…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 f650...
I have a 2008 f650 with the cat c7 r head motor. 120k miles. Starts perfect. Idles perfect. Revs up perfect. After about 30-45 seconds it shuts off. Just like you turned off a switch. It will restart immediately and repeat the cycle.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
6/22/2015
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 3 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Does the red engine warning light come on before the engine shuts down?
When taken to cat had code 157-17 and 3719-0 I believe the engine light comes on when it shuts down. It immediately will start right back up and idle - rev fine again for another 30-45 seconds. I text my son to verify engine light. Truck is stuck at his house 3 hours away
Thanks for the information.
157-17 is a low fuel rail pressure. This is caused by a faulty fuel system check valve or pump. This fault will cause an engine shit down
3719 is a soot load code. This is common on these engines. Once a regen is completed this code will go away.
I would suspect the 157-17 is your shutdown problem.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
He verified red engine stop light comes on at shut down
If high pressure fuel pump was bad would it not want to rev up correctly due to lack of fuel? What would you reccomend checking/replacing? Check valve?
Yes. The check valve is the most common problem. I would consider replacing it first. I have replaced many of these for this problem.
Let me know if you need more help.
Would you happen to know the part number and or location/ diagram? Is there only one check valve? Thanks
Yes there is only one check valve. The part number is(###) ###-####
Copy and paste this link into your internet browser. Its located at 3-18.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjn12s3ocnkf5um/valve.jpg?dl=0
Let me know if you need more help.
I will get a check valve and report back. Thank you
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.
I've done more research. Seems like code 3719-0 is high soot load code. When this code present the ecu shuts down after 60 seconds. I'm thinking this is going to be my issue.
I see. Thanks for the information.
The high soot can cause a shut down if too much soot is in the DPF.
Does the system complete a regen? OR does the engine just keep shutting down every 45 seconds?
It's not doing a regen for some reason and the c7 doesn't have a manual regen switch in it?
Yeah none of the Fords came with switches. They have to be added.
Since it's not doing a regen on its own and its shutting down. I suspect the ARD head is faulty. I replace a lot of these. I would consider having it replaced. You will also need to have someone with ET do a regen. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.
I'm looking into a dpf delete
I can't blame you for that. The DPF system is very frustrating. They are always having problems.
That's what I've read. We dpf delete the cummins in the dodge light duty and the cat seems to have major issues. To have a diesel with 125k miles and not run is ridiculous
Yes you are 100% correct. The Cat C7 has major issues.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!