Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

ThereI bought DAF CF85 with XE engine 12.6 L.I have

Customer Question
Hi there I bought DAF...

Hi there I bought DAF CF85 with XE engine 12.6 L. I have recently changed old engine oil oil and filters, and no metal particles or dust was not present in the fluid. I bought the oil as specified and both genuine filters (main catrige and centrifugal). After installation, and driving aprox 300km, I noticed noise coming from right hand side of the engine where centrifugal filter and oil cooler are fitted, when oil /engine is hot , it looks like centrifugal filter is spinning too fast???  After checking the main oil cartige filter, I found some metal particles and dust. Nothing else was done on engine, and I am bit worried about it as these particles are not good signs. Would you please be able to suggest what could be the cause of the metal particles/dust presence? Many Thanks Trivo

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
6/19/2015
Technician: Eurotruck72, workshop foreman replied 2 years ago
Eurotruck72
Eurotruck72, workshop foreman
Hello, Most probably it is caused by the centrifugal filter itself. The bearing under the filter often goes bad or gets completly loose in the housing. Replace the bearing (easy job,its screwed in) and mount it with loctite. This explains the noise and metal parts. Good Luck.

Hi there

thanks for getting back to me so quickly..

I will have a look first thing in the morning - its 10:30 pm here.

I will come back to you with my findings.

Much appreciated

Trivo

Okay, hope you'll find it.

Hi there

Apologies for late reply, I was waiting on parts delivery and replacement before I come back to you.

I looked at the engine again, and found that centrifugal filer is slightly different than the one you explained to me (engine type XE 315C1). However, following your advice I have replaced centrifugal filter assembly - part #(###) ###-####centrifugal filter part #1376481 as well as main filter.

I also replaced engine oil again purchased as per specification from the dealer.

Before above changes, I removed the sump to check if there were any presence of metal particles /dust, but surprisingly found none.

Not sure how its possible to have main filter full of metal particles, but none in the sump???

After changes and driving approx 30km, I checked the main filter and found very small traces of the metal particles. I am not sure if these are leftovers from the previous condition, or there is still something wrong as the engine still produces the same noise as before?

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Trivo

Canberra

Hi there

Trivo

Eurotruck72
Eurotruck72
Eurotruck72, workshop foreman