Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

We have a 1998 Volvo truck we can't get to start

Customer Question
Hi we have a 1998...
Hi we have a 1998 Volvo truck we can't get to start
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
6/18/2015
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi, It's Dan. Thanks for the request. What is the engine make and model in your truck?
VE D7 don't know model of truck its a small cab over. 1998. I fill out the list of what I have done already. Do I need to do that again?
Hi by the way. I get lost cause this thing run you around in a circle
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Hi, Your post was not originally showing in the other format but it is there now. could you give me some more details of the events that happened when this truck either shut down or would not start? If there is good fuel supply to the injection pump and the pump is not injecting fuel either something electronically is not opening up the pump to inject fuel such as loss of engine speed signal, No power or ground to the ECM, failed ECM, Or faulty injection pump if not on the mechanical side, the electrical side of the pump. Did the shop have the capabilities to test the electrical side of the pump? Another thing to verify is the timing to be sure the timing is within specs. Let me know
Hi what I was told by my customer is that they parked truck after they were done working. Next morning they wet to start truck and it would not start. They worked on it for a while then call us out. When we got there we hooked up our scanner. It shows no engine faults now it did have a fault for #1 speed sensor. Replaced sensor. There is no fuel coming out injection pump. At that time we took this ECM of this truck and put it on a sister truck and it started. Then we OHM out wires that go to the injection pump to ECM. Those wire OHM good. we even took the wire loom off and we can see there are no damaged wires going to injection pump to ECM. We can read with scanner we do see RPM while cranking 250 to 200. We ran off starting fluid thought might not have enough RPM. Well over 600 then. That's when we had pump shipped off for repairs. When pump came back customer put it on and same thing. No codes no fuel out of injection pump. I had sister truck there then. So I checked sister truck powers and grounds going to ECM. There the same on both trucks. This time I took ECM off sister truck and put it on this truck, no fuel out the injection pump. So call guy that built pump, he told me they ran on stand to test. I ask him what power and ground do I need to run pump. Some how they had to power it there to check it right?? He could not tell me. So I'm not sure if there is bad harness or pump. I have no wiring schematic but as near as I can tell off sister truck there wired the same. Or he never tested the pump on stand so we have same issue with the fuel pump.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Thanks for the info. Either the engine ECM is not seeing speed signal to enable the pump for injection or there is a problem in that injection pump if the harness test good and no damage is found in the connector pins. You could also try a wiggle test on the harness while cranking to see if you can discover any loose connections. If the sister truck is still available I would check the power and ground pins for the pump. Im not sure I have the schematics for this model but I will see what I can find.
One more thing on sister truck unplugged the #1 speed sensor and truck started. Cranked longer before I started maybe 5 sec longer. It showed both on tach of truck and on scanner. We also powered up the fuel shut off solenoid and traded them. It is easy to tell when solenioid is working cause fuel filters are after solenoid with solenoid is open it wont push fuel through filter and when it close it will. Open = no power to solenoid.
We did check to see what kinda power and ground were at pump. With multi meter read 3 ground and 4 powers. on sister truck all power showed battery voltage. On tuck that will not start 3 of the power showed battery but one showed 10.8 volts. None of powers have enough amp to burn a test light bulb. Only one of the grounds on both truck has enough amps to burn a test light. They are she same except the 10.8 volts on the truck that wont start.
I would really like to have wiring schematic that way I would no for sure I have every thing I need to start truck. I don't know if ECM has to see engine speed to sink pump. I would not think so since the pump is timed off cam shaft. It can't put fuel in at wrong time unless some one puts pump in out of time. But then again I had no power that had enough amp to do anything with just key on. So could it be that ECM wants to see speed before it sends power to rack control??
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
So far I only found manuals in Spanish for PDF format that need to be translated. Have you checked for low compression or for other mechanical problems on this engine? Im looking to see what I can find for a schematic. What is the chassis model info for this truck? If I come up empty I can opt out in case another expert might be able to access the info
Vin number on truck is XN782251 the ser# ***** engine is D7011085 I really don't care about the OEM wiring just the Eng side. By checking power and grounds on sister truck I'm sure that's fine and I have no problem reading scanner and I can create codes if I want by unplugging and sensor. I know both sides are OEM but really cant see how it in truck side.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
I have schematics for the D12 and for VNL trucks from 2004 but not prior unfortunately. There might be another expert that can get this for you. I am going to opt out so this will post back on the list for them to see.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Hi, Did you get this resolved? Let me know if you need more help
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson