Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

Ford F-550 super duty: 2006 F-550 the dash gauges did work

Customer Question

2006 F-550 the dash gauges did work now when you turn the ign. On they jump a few seconds and then stop moving the display doesn't work either and it goes into limp mode it is a 6.0 diesel / auto all the fuses to the gauges are good I checked with a test light on both sides
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concerns.
Was the dash replaced or anything? I'm not understanding the comment that dash gauges did work. I'm presuming you replaced something?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No nothing has been replaced
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.
That's what I was afraid of. Sounds like the cluster failed. I would ask Ford to do a quick cluster test to make sure it isn't a module issue or a power/ground issue. Since you get the initial function on the cluster though, I'm really thinking it went bad on you.
Just to be certain, check the smaller red and black wires attached to the battery main wires. From the passenger battery, trace the small red wire up to that relay and make sure they are tight there. That will rule out power and ground on the module.
The limp mode is because there is no signal off the cluster rendering the vehicle unsafe. The PCM sees no return from the "ICU" aka Instrument Cluster Unit and does limp right away. I wish Ford didn't include that in their program because it makes it hard to get to a shop safely in a vehicle in limp mode.