Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a cummins n14 plus 1995 mod rated at 400 hp. In a john Deere 8970 tractor It…

Customer Question
Hi ,I have a cummins...
Hi ,I have a cummins n14 plus 1995 mod rated at 400 hp. In a john Deere 8970 tractor
It has clocked up 12800 hrs The fuelinjector pump was serviced at around 8000 hrs , I'm not sure about the injectors .
It is blowing a bit of black exhaust smoke . It uses about 15 litres of oil every 250 or so hours. We
Run it at 1550 rpm It starts and pulls well ( frosty mornings it does need aerostart ) .My concerns are that fuel consumption is high an estimated 65 lt per hour I'm guessing its roughly at 70% load
Should the turbo be looked at
How much life should I expect out of the motor ,before a rebuild .
should I replace or refurbish the injectors and is this a job we could manage , I have a well equiped workshop and good ability but untrained. Or I can get my son to help me. A trained cat mechanic.
If it has to be rebuilt are the genuine cumins kits better or the generics ok.
Any outher information on things I should look at would be appreciated.
Regards Warren.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
6/7/2015
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.What is the engine serial number?
Hi the engine No is 30354932
Model nta-855-a.
config No d093618-axo2
Not sure where I saw the plus written on it ,that I mentioned earlier .. Can't seem to find it again. Anyhow hope this helps.
Cheers Warren.
Thought I would also mention, that we had to work it at 1350 rpm for a day , it seemed to blow a bit extra black smoke. Oil consumption doesn't really worry me. More the fuel use
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi Warren, My name is***** would be glad to help you further with this. It seems this is the older mechanical engine and not the electronic N14.If you are getting black smoke it can be cused by an air restriction, faulty turbo, intake leaks, faulty air fuel ratio in the pump( AFC bellows if PT fuel system), Faulty injectors or adjustment, or a timing issue would be the most likely causes. Check the turbo compressor wheel for damage and excessive end play, oil, and be sure there is no drag felt in the turbo bearing and it spins freely. Check the overhead adjustments and the intake piping for leaks. Click this link to access the technical info I uploaded for you. Technical Data. Let me know if you need more help
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson