Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Yes i have a 1996 mtsubushi fuso sm trash compactor truck ...was…

Customer Question
yes i have a 1996...
yes i have a 1996 mtsubushi fuso sm trash compactor truck ...was going down road and lost all power shut down like some one turned ignition off ...towed home and it wont start and only getting half power to truck
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
6/4/2015
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 3 years ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can !If you can provide me with the full vin number , I may be able to provide you with a wiring diagram but it sounds like the ECM has either lost ignition power feed or battery power or a bad ground .
Ok sorry its a 1999 i hope serial number is ***** thing as vin...JW6BBC1H5XL001503 if not same ill need find title...thank you so much for the help
Do you have any power at all in the cab ? Or have you lost all power ?
Very little just for a minute wipers will hardly move headlights real dim stereo wont come on you turn ignition off a.nd try it again and wont get nothing battery full charged its all suppose to be 12 volt. The tester shows six volts and when you try to turn over it will not start
Ok so this is affecting the whole truck , cab , engine , everything ? Can you confirm also that there is 12 volts at the batteries currently ?
I dont know on that for sure just says charging and we plugged battery charge up to it for several hours
While driving radio went off and driver smelt something hot then it died with no power
Ok so we need to test with a multimeter to find out if batteries are in fact ok and reading 12 volts . That is first . Then we need to follow the large battery positive cable from the batteries to see where it goes. It will head towards the starter . We have to check and make sure we are getting 12 volts at the battery positive stud on the starter .
Ok. But it is 11:14 pm here .they guy looking at it already left and wont return til tomorrow . Can we still communicate on this then
The problem is I work at the dealership during the day but can respond mostly in the evenings.
Ok well i could get this all checked about battery and cable gone to starter snd the positive stud and then see if u could help tomorrow evening if that doesnt help ..i can pay to speak with you again if needed
I would start by checking for 12 volts at all the main areas , behind the alterntor , at the starter , at the main cab fuses , etc...
Ok we will do and if its none of those will hope to get to speak with you again ..about ECM locations or other possibilities i really appreciate your help ...this is my business truck and do so need it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk7gqyqfdoz3ku2/fuso%201.png?dl=0
Here is a diagrm that shows the batteries to the high current fuse panel wiring . We need to test there to be sure good power is getting there too . Load test with a headlight perhaps .
Hi there ! Just looking for an update ! Do you still need help with this ? Happy to help further if needed . Let me know . Thanks.
Please do forget to rate my service to you at the end of this session ! That is the only way that i am rewarded on here . Thank you .