cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

I have a 2001 Freightliner Columbia 120 with the ISM Cummins

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Freightliner Columbia 120 with the ISM Cummins just replace turbo and truck is still not driving right at first when you accelerate you push down on the Excelerator it does not do anything it's like you're pressing down on air, then after a couple minutes that works then the driver took it for a road test after we inspected it did not find anything he said it was good he hooked up to a load once he got to about 50 he said he felt a loss and power what could this be
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.What is the engine serial number and are their any fault codes present?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine tag is not there however it is not reading any faults codes no lights on the dash and when it's in cruise control all the way up it accelerate and decelerate by itself you'll hear the engine from the outside rev up and then rev itself down it's really weird
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 2 years ago.

ok try recalibrating the throttle position sensor.To do this engine off than put the key in the on position and press the throttle 3 times slow than key off.
as for the low power check for loose or misaligned boost / charge air cooler hoses/clamps from the turbo use water if needed to watch for bubbles ensure the actuator is working properly on the turbo, if not suspect the turbocharger control valve.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 2 years ago.
Hello just following up. Do you need more assistance? Please don't forget to rate my service.