Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

1997 GMC C8500 WITH 3116 CAT RUNS HOT ON HIGHWAY OK AT IDLE.

Customer Question
NEW WATER PUMP THERMOSTAT RADIATOR,NO...
1997 GMC C8500 WITH 3116 CAT RUNS HOT ON HIGHWAY OK AT IDLE. NEW WATER PUMP THERMOSTAT RADIATOR,NO LEAKS TO BUBBLES IN COOLANT TANK
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
6/1/2015
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 3 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Can you get me the engine serial number please? I need to know if this is a Mechanical 3116 with a governor or an Electronic 3116 with a computer on it.
How hot is the engine getting up to?
ENGINE# ***** engine will shut down gauge goes in red but only on the highway. Engine struggles to do 50-55mph
Thanks for the information.
I would first want to verify the temp. I have seen sensors read wrong and make the engine appear to be running hot.
If the engine is indeed runnin hot and the sensors was reading correctly. There are only two other things i have seen cause this.
The first is a collapsing lower radiator hose.
Second is a resticted oil cooler.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist.
If my information was helpful. Please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!