Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am having an issue with the turn signals, when I plugged…

Customer Question
I am having an issue...
I am having an issue with the turn signals, when I plugged the pigtail into the trailer, my turn signals froze, but when I flipped off the lights the turn signals work correctly. I unplugged the pigtail and everything stayed the same the left signal works when the lights are one, the right freezes up and the turn signal light to the right stays lit but does not flash so replaced turn signal bulbs , no help, then I replaced the female connection on the truck and unplugged the pigtail, all lights worked plus flashers. So replaced the female side on the tractor for the pig tail, everything was perfect, replaced lights that needed it and went to do a full inspection. As soon as the truck was plugged in did my walk around, got back in the truck and it all started again, flashers were frozen, I turned them off the light stayed on the dash on right, left signal works, turn off all lights and signals work, turn on running lights blinkers work, flip the parking switch and the left will work but the right freezes again. I'm at a loss
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2015
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 2 years ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can ! For the fun of it , have you tried using a set of booster cables and connect one end to the truck and the other end to the trailer to give it a better ground and see if that resolves your issue. This is just a test but if this works , then you may need to connect the ground wire in the plug to the frame of the trailer to help give you a better ground .
It is the truck not the trailer
The truck is fine when unplugged . Correct ?
It was but then it went out again
What exactly went out on the truck ?
When I turn on the lights the right signal freezes left still works individual but on four way freezes I'm at a total loss
OK the first time it happened was the flashers when the lights are on but when they aren't on flashers are fine
Can we start with the full vin number please ? You may have a bad ground on the truck or a flasher problem . Have you tried replacing the flasher ?
Not yet so far a mechanic who saw the truck stated the pigtail plug in was corroded so he placed a jump wire I replaced the plug in wire by wire one at a time Vin number 6j148648
I need the full 17 digit vin number please . I will look up a wiring diagram for your vehicle.
1xktdb9x56j148648
Just for giggles I unplugged the flasher, and when I turned to lights on you can hear what sounds like a flasher trying to start, and the right blinker light comes on and stays on
Thanks for the info !
Here is the wiring diagrams for your kenworth :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksl36ibee90matd/ken1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hfsj8a1wnl8h5o/ken2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmiapaqkkhbf45j/ken3.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4iz71oko07qf1jq/ken4.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lugn0ckicsnqzc/ken5.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rk0owom61rmvoo9/ken6.png?dl=0
Thanks for the diagrams would you have a clue as to what is causing the issue?
I am thinking a poor ground or a flasher issue . Have you checked to make sure the terminals are not spread or damaged where the flasher goes? Another possibility is the turn signal switch . Have you tried wiggling it when it is not flashing ? I have seen this !
I've just wiggled it and nothing what happens is when no lights are on the flashers work perfect its when I turn on the parking lights that's when it freezes up on the right left works but neither works on emergency blinking the turn signal lights are on but steady when I hit the emergency switch it sounds like its going to fire up but stops cold
And with the park lights on , and right side signal on , the right signal remains steady but if you wiggle the turn signal switch at that point does it begin to flash ?
Nope tried that
Have you tried another flasher?
Not sure if that would be the issue when I pulled out the flasher the light stays on for the flasher I turned off the lights and turned them back on when I did the right light came back on as if it was still in and makes the same noise like its trying to kick on makes that click then nothing just the light
The diagrams show that there is one flasher and there is also two relays : One for the left turn and one for the right turn. Since the problem seems to be on the right side , perhaps we should try swapping relays around to see if the problem moves with the relay over to the other side. If it does , the problem is the relay .
OK where is the relay I'm out in the truck diagram is on the computer at the house
I work mostly on International trucks . I work for a dealer. I think Kenworth relay panels are down low on the left side behind the clutch pedal. Best thing to do is turn the left signal on and listen for the clicking sound and follow it to the proper relays , then swap some relays around and see if your problem goes away or follows the right side turn relay .
Any luck ?
Found the binging noise its on the left side closest to the door taking that panel off now to see the one behind the clutch is a bunch of bundled wires and connectors
ok
I had to take her to kenworth turned out that my board was shorting out I had five relays that fried by the time I got to kenworth I had no lights no signals no panel lights and the ecm started going crazy pick up speed and drop me down on the speedometer but never slowed down wildest thing I ever saw thank god I had a warranty whew won't be ready for a few days but I can live with that
Oh wow ! Good call ! Well thanks for giving us a try anyway ! Good luck !
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician