Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Cummins engine,444 turbo went up,cleabed out air

Customer Question

cummins engine,444 turbo went up,cleabed out air system,installed a new turbo,ran for 2 days noticed fin on new turbo were broken what cause this?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Was it just one fin broken off and no other fin damage? Or was there fin damage to all the fine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all fins broken
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
Unfortunately I have seen and done this many times over the years.
If all the fins are damaged then something went through the turbo from the air cleaner. Many times when a turbo failure happens, debris from the turbo flies up in the air cleaner. Then days after the repair the debris comes loose and takes out the new turbo.
I'm sure you cleaned out the piping when the turbo was replaced but sometimes the debris is hard to see. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not all the fins are broken,just like the ends of the fins have been scorned,can i just replace the turbine fins assembly that damageif,the turbo still good?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
I see. Thanks for the information.
You should be able to buy the cartridge of the turbo minus the hot and cold housings. Many manufacturers offer this. It's cheaper than replacing the complete turbo.
I would call cummins and ask if you can just get the cartridge which includes the middle and both fin assemblies.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Hey,
I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!