Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

C13 overheating under load on rock drill will run all day at

Customer Question

C13 overheating under load on rock drill will run all day at 65% load but when 90% load over heats in 10 min cooler is clean and full of coolant fan is hydraulic and is running full tilt seems to be taking of 30 to 40 degrees from bottom to top of cooler
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
I would suspect one of two things are causing your problem.
The first is one of the thermostats is not opening completely. When this happens, the engine will overheat at high loads. I would change the thermstats first.
Second is an internal clog of the radiator. It too will only cause overheats at high loads when it's beginning to get clogged.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for info will change thermostats the cooler is taking off 30 to 40 degrees if plugged would it take off that much

Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.
Yes it can. If there is an internal restriction it can cause a 30-40 degree changed. It's because the flow is too slow and low. An outside air side restriction would not.
If changing the thermostats does not help. I would next suspect an internal restriction of the radiator