Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2006 Travel Supreme Class A motorhome with a cummins…

I have a 2006 Travel...
I have a 2006 Travel Supreme Class A motorhome with a cummins ISL 400 diesel. It recently had the "Stop Engine" light come on but everything was fine. I had another 20 miles to my camp site and everything ran fine. the return trip was 50 miles home with the light coming on intermittently. I took it to the RV repair shop where i also store it. I had it serviced, (oil filters etc. they said they could not find the reason for the warning. I picked up the RV two days ago and drove it home, (20 miles) the light came on again and the last couple miles it seriously lost power. I tried checking the fault codes from the drivers seat and found : "SPN 111 FMI 1," Then Mid 128 engine PID 111 FMI 1. From what I can find the Cummins ISL shows 111 as Engine Control Module Critical Internal Failure- Bad Intelligent Device or Component" I have no idea what that means. Can I drive it to the repair shop? The closest Cummins shop is 60 miles away. Can I call a "mobile repair" place to come to my house and fix it?
5/26/2015
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. That code is actually for coolant level. You either have low coolant level or a faulty coolant level sensor or harness giving false readings. This will cause the engine to derate and cut back power and ultimately shut down.
Fault Code: 197
PID: P111
SPN: 111
FMI: 1/18
LAMP: Amber
SRT:
Engine Coolant Level Low - Data Valid but Below Normal Operational Range - Moderately Severe Level. Low engine coolant level detected.
Fault Code: 235
PID: P111
SPN: 111
FMI: 1
LAMP: Amber
SRT:
Coolant Level Low - Data Valid but Below Normal Operational Range - Most Severe Level. Low engine coolant level detected.
Progressive power derate increasing in severity from time of alert. If the Engine Protection Shutdown feature is enabled, the engine will shut down 30 seconds after Red Stop lamp starts flashing.
the rv dealer said the coolant level was ok. Is this something a mobil diesel mechanic can come out and fix?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Yes as long as they have a scan tool and the proper training and experience on Cummins engines. If the coolant level is ok then check the harness for broken or damaged wiring from the ECM to the sensor and if ok make sure the mechanic brings a new sensor with them to replace it. The definition you posted in your question means the Engine ECM ( computer) has an internal problem but 111 on Cummins is for coolant level so if the level is ok the sensor itself is bad or the wiring to the sensor has a problem.
The rv place suggested unplugging the wire to the sensor, shorting across to see if that stops the warning and if so then drive the bus the 20 miles back to the shop without the fear of a 30 second shut down. Does this sound feasible!?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
If you have full coolant above the sensor level than yes, doing so will trick the ECM into believing the level is good to prevent it from derating and cutting back the power but you will need to be sure the code goes inactive for this to happen and be successful as if the code stays active it will derate and cut back the power again..
Daniel Wilson