Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 95 freightliner that won't start but will start

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 95 freightliner that won't start but will start for a couple seconds on starting fluid. Should the wire coming out of the ecm be hot when the ignition is on?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last 6 of the Vin are 642552
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concerns.
I can't work on just the last 6 of the VIN anymore. I need the full VIN because 2015 Freightliner is now duplicating VIN numbers on the last 6.
What wire are you referring to needing to be hot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The wire comes out of the ECM and goes to a stud on the solenoid on the top of the mechanical fuel pump. 1FUY3MC89SH642552
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that wire should be hot when you turn the ignition on. That wire is what holds the solenoid open to allow fuel to flow. If you have no power there, then you could have an issue with power going to the ECM from the ignition or you have an issue with the ECM.
Check pin 26 on connector C. It is the power in from the switch.
Your VIN is coming up as invalid on my end. I believe I pulled the right ECM pin sheet for your vehicle. I have that diagram below. If you go to the right side, look at the plug C, you will see the blue wire going to the ECM. That is power in to the ECM from the ignition. Verify that you have power going in to there. If not, then check the ignition switch to verify there is power coming out of it on the I or A pin.
On this diagram, just above the blue wire is the wire going to the fuel solenoid you referred to.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/v9csdajqgdqrl9q/Celect_3666018_Rev_04.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had power going in the ECM on pin 26, I jumped a hot wire to the solenoid got fuel to move thru but still will not fire. ECM problem???
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its a B instead of the 8 in the Vin # *****
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is an internal ECM problem. If you have the signal going to the ECM with no power out, the ECM is bad. :-(
That power going in is what activates the ECM to power the fuel solenoid as well as the injectors. I wouldn't be surprised if you also find the injectors not pulsing as well.
At this point, you're left with swapping the ECM and having it programmed. Make sure to have the VIN and ECM engine serial number when you order an ECM so the proper programming is put onto it.