Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

i am working on a cat 3176 in a 1996 pete 357. i replaced a…

i am working on a...
i am working on a cat 3176 in a 1996 pete 357. i replaced a cracked timing housing and now engine wont start... I checked the voltage of three fuses inside dash (i'm assuming they are the ecm fuses) i had 12.4v key in on position, 8.4v while cranking engine. engine did run prior to replacing housing
4/13/2015
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If the check engine light is coming on and cycling as it should with the IGN switch on then that means the ECM is communicating. If not the ECM fuses and harness are between the battery box and engine ECM. If you unhooked the batteries then make sure all the wires to the POS post are hooked up and this one was not missed. Also Make sure the Cam sensor on the front timing cover is plugged in and sending signal to the ECM or the engine will not run. Possible faulty cam sensor. Let me know
Dont see the check engine lights cycling. Battery box is a mess. Ill sort that out and see what happens. Thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Pleasure to help. Copy and paste this link in your browser for an engine schematic to help.
http://supermiller.com/pdf/sk24807.pdf
which pin # ***** ***** battery power pin at ecm plugWhat is the procedure for testing the cam pos sensor with multimeter
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Check the legend in the schematic. Pin 5(577) is ground, Pin 6 (455) ECM power,Pin 23 is switchable power from the key, Pin 12(239) Ground, Pin 4 is fused Bat power.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Ok here are the potential causes for a crank no start.
no power to the ECM
failed ECM
no engine speed timing signal( monitor tach response and sensor readings with Cat ET connected)
low fuel pressure ( 65psi)
no power to the injectors
failed injectors ( unlikely)
You can always compare the readings to a new sensor however Cat ET is the test used in the manual. Without Cat ET you can try to test the resistance of yours and compare to a new one but not sure how accurate that may or may not be. If the ECM hase power and ground and the check engine light is cycling with the key then the ECM needs to see speed timing sensor signal to fire the injectors.
Could i backprobe while cranking engine and look for frequency?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
In theory I guess you could do that and possibly look for AC signal while cranking the engine.
well, the problem was finally solved. The eng speed/timing sensor was the problem. After replacing the sensor engine started right up, but after replacing sensor the check eng and warning lights still do not come on when the key switch is turned on?? That was what kept me from blaming the sensor and consequently going on a wild goose chase for several days. Just for everyone's info the 1996 peterbuilt battery unswitched+ wire does not originate in the battery box, it is pin #4 in the firewall connector. The fuse for it was difficult to find, it is attached inside the dash behind center dash panel at the end of a 2 wire harness with cover. You have to remove center and left panels to access it. The tach will display eng rpms even with faulty speed/timing sensor so can't use tach as indicator of speed sensor function. I will test speed/tmg sensors (faulty and functioning) tomorrow and let you know if multimeter can be used to test for bad sensor.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Thank you for the updated info. It is a pleasure to work with you on this. I figured it would be likely a speed timing sensor which is the most common to fail. That is uncommon the ECM fuse be buried behind the dash like that. Usually they are always between the battery box and firewall near the ECM. As far as the check engine light if the engine is running and if a scan tool will read the ECM it could be that the bulb is out and the ECM is communicating especially since it will start with the new sensor. Let me know
Daniel Wilson