Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2001,379 peterbilt going down road and the truck cut off lost…

2001,379 peterbilt going down road...
2001,379 peterbilt going down road and the truck cut off
lost power to gauges ,have fuel,truck will spin over, fuse to
ecm in battery box is good ,could it be ignition, relay?
4/12/2015
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 7 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
What engine do you have? Is it a Cat?
Yes it's a cat c-16
Thanks for the information.
Yes it could be the ignition relay. To confirm I would check power to the ECM. You must have unswitched power on pins 52 and 53. The Keyswitched power is on pin 70. The grounds are pins 65 and 67. If you have power and ground on these pins. The engine should run. If it does not. You could have a failed ECM.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
How do I check the key switch power
To check Keyswitched power, just remove the rear most ECM 70 pin connector. The connector pins are numbered. Find pin 70. It should have power with the key in the on position. Also good to check 52 and 53 for power too.
Let me know if you need more help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert