Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

We are derated to 5mph with Regulatory fault ignored-final…

We are derated to 5mph...
We are derated to 5mph with Regulatory fault ignored-final action pending fault 5246-16. 5246-0 and 5246-15 also appear as well as DEF information only 4335-31. What do we need to do?
3/9/2015
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 7 years ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
this code is a restriction in the def metering unit. the screen may be clogged with debris and needs to b cleaned or the unit replaced. once the issue is repaired the code can be cleared with software for the manufacturer and most likely will require a re gen.
Roy
This is the first truck we have ever owned with DEF. Where is the metering unit to check for debris? We did a manual regen on it but it still shows these faults and the engine light it still on. My driver stated it ran well on the way home but when he took off to leave it wouldnt get over 5MPH. Thanks
it should be on the side of the one box or converter.
what is the year,make and model.
Roy
2011 Freightliner Cascadia. DD15 Detroit, DEF tank on driver side
ok, remove the driver side steps and cover for the 1 box.
there should be a box with a cover on it bolted on the rear of the unit toward the rear. remove the 2 screws with the cover and that is the metering unit.
remove the blue def line, air supply line, 5 electrical connectors on the top and 1 on the bottom, the hose for the def injector and remove the 3 attaching screws.
where the air supply hooks up is the area of concern. remove the def line if you have not already done so. from the bottom, remove the 3 screws attaching the def screen housing. they are torx screws, be careful not to break them.
once they are removed, the piece will come up with the heater attached. on the bench, see if you can see through the unit or if it is filled with def debris. you can soak it in hot water to dissolve the debris and clear it out with cleaner such as brake clean. once it is clean, re assemble the unit
Roy
roybelding
We did this as you requested. The truck is in the middle of a regen now. If the problem still exists after the regen, is there a way to contact you by phone? Is that an additional cost?
ok, sorry, was sleeping work midnight shift
see personal info