Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Andy, wife, me, and dogs stuck at a truck stop N of Mexico…

Andy, wife, me, and dogs...
Andy, wife, me, and dogs stuck at a truck stop N of Mexico City, Mexico.
We have a motorhome on a Workhorse W22 with a Maxxforce 7.
Yesterday started whining upon exceleration and got louder and worse, (turbo?) power seemed a bit less, then the Regen light went on, then 10 min started blinking, 15 started to beep and we pulled over. Hardly had power to back up. We are camping here through Sunday night, with a supposed good diesel mechanic coming to check in the am.
I don't know if these guys have experience with the exhaust filter system, is there something I can tell him to help diagnose?
Should I try to get towed to the nearest bigger city International dealer?
-Stuck here in Mexico (Jeff)
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2015
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 7 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, Network Engineer specializing in CAN faults, Aftertertreatment, and vehicle communications
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concerns. I don't see Andy on at the moment and you have this marked as urgent, so I will assist you.
If the mechanic doesn't show up with a laptop in hand to connect to the vehicle and see why your vehicle isn't doing a regen, I would have it towed to the nearest International dealer. At a minimum, there he needs to find out why the regen isn't working. I personally would have it towed because the regen system isn't something to work on when you are on the side of the road. Reason is, the particulate filter is plugged and it will need to be baked to get it cleaned up.
Those lights you are referring to mean the particulate filter is plugged with soot and a manual regen needs to be done. This needs to be activated with a laptop and then it needs to be monitored to see why the filter isn't performing like it should. I also know, from my personal experience from traveling in Mexico and pleasure, American broken down in Mexico are easily taken advantage of. It isn't the safest country right now due to the cartels and such. So that is just on a safety point to not want to be in the middle of nowhere. At least you are in a truck stop and will have some eyes on you.
If you wait mechanic, ask him to do a "dpf filter reset" and ask to do "parked manual regen" with the laptop. Once these are done, you can drive the vehicle hundred plus miles to get to a shop where they can look at the filter and see what is going on with it.
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Thanks Jeremy! Just curious, does it also sound like the turbo is a problem?
No sir. It doesn't sound like the turbo is the problem. It sounds to be completely the dpf filter or regen system. The turbo does affect how the regen works, but I'm more thinking it is a doser issue in the dpf or the filter itself.Thank you rating!