Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a Peterbilt with a c15 acert bxs serial prefix. It started…

I have a Peterbilt with...
I have a Peterbilt with a c15 acert bxs serial prefix. It started cutting out the other day and we are trying to figure out why. I have cat et and there are no codes or events. Coolant temp is correct as well as intake air temp. It starts boosting and when it builds about 22 lbs it just cuts off and starts making a light popping out of the exhaust and smoking white, while the whole time my foots on the floor. It will come back and start pulling then just cut off and back to the popping noise and white smoke, the pooing is real light like only one jake and not all three, not even quite that loud.
11/18/2014
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will try to help. If you are not getting any codes then the problem is likely mechanical unless you have a faulty ECM or harness problem. Do you have access to a test ECM??
No I dont, it's the only acert in the fleet, we drove it while cat et was running and everything seemed to be working correctly. Tps was at 100 percent and didn't fluctuate, all injectors were firing.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
Thanks for the update Cory, Does this happen at an idle and while driving or just when you are on the throttle? First I would check under the valve cover for a potential Jake brake problem if it sounds like its a jake hanging up. You could still have an injector problem as well. Let me know..
Only when driving it, and only seems to happen on the high side of the tranny. We ran the overhead and everything seems to be fine. Could a solenoid for the Ivas or jakes cause this?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
When you ran the overhead did you set the IVA seperately per procedure? I would check the actuators, Jakes, and inspect the harness under the valve covers thoroughly for problems such as loose connections, shorted or bare wiring. Also there is an oil pressure sending unit for the IVAs on the right front of the head and when these fail the engine will run poorly.
We replaced that oil sending unit today. We did set everything as per the procedure. We looked at all the wires and didn't see anything thAt looked out of the ordinary, everything is tight and looks like it should. That's why I posted on here, I was out of ideas
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
The only other thing I can think of assuming the IVA or jake is not the problem is either an injector, cam or crank sensor, Harness or ECM software problem since it is not throwing codes. Try a test ECM or have yours reflashed.
Cam or crank sensor will make it cut out and smoke white? I am thjnking it's releasing compression through all the ivas, that's what it acts like, is this a possibility?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
The symptoms you are describing point right to a problem with the IVAs circuit so you are correct in your thoughts. I would check your actuators and harness. Since there are no codes it is likely mechanical. I would suggest going through the overhead again and make sure the IVAs are set to .020 per spec. and the jake settings are also correct and there is no problems in the jake housings. Keep in mind that the IVAs only operate under a load below 1500 RPM so if this is happening above 1500 then it is likely not an IVA problem.
It's mostly happening over 1500 rpms when the boost really starts to build up. It doesn't happen at all in the low side of the transmission. Can a jake solenoid hang open and make it smoke white, really white like raw fuel, but only when it starts to boost over 20 lbs. it just happened one day, what seemed kinda like out of nowhere.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
Possibly something hanging up in the jakes or an injector problem most likely. Since you have Cat ET. Try cutting out each cylinder one at a time while cranking to see if one stops the white smoke. This would be the problem injector or you can remove the exhast manifold and watch while cranking which cylinder is producing the white smoke and replace that injector. As far as the jakes you can swap the housings once you have isolated a problem cylinder and see if the problem moves with the jake housing.
It only smokes when i drive it and it starts to boost and cuts out, it does not smoke at all at idle or when the boost is building and it's pulling good, only smokes right when it cuts out and the turbos stop spooling. I did cut out test and all injectors are fine. It doesn't act like one cylinder, it acts like its all the cylinders at the same time and the motor just loses all its power all at once and it starts smoky thick white smoke. Then just all the sudden it takes off again until the boost builds up and cuts out again and smoke again. Can anything cause all the ivas to hold the intake valves open or the jakes to hold all the exhaust valves open.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
The only other thing I can think of is the common link in the middle is the ECM. Possible software issue. Too bad you didnt have a sister truck to swap ECMS with. A head gasket or broken head bolt would cause a similar noise but it would be constant and I am assuming you are not finding coolant in the oil or signs of coolant from the exhaust.The only other thing I can think of is the common link in the middle is the ECM. Possible software issue. Too bad you didnt have a sister truck to swap ECMS with. A head gasket or broken head bolt would cause a similar noise but it would be constant and I am assuming you are not finding coolant in the oil or signs of coolant from the exhaust but that would be constant but heard more prominent at hight loads and RPMs
We replaced all the Iva solenoidsnd today and that did not fix the problem, we re ten the overhead just to be sure and replaced the vva oil pressure sensor still to bo avail.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
Thanks for the update Cory. The jake housings looked ok? No broken jake springs etc? Confirm your actual fuel pressure on this and let me know. it must be between 75 and 90 psi if not then you could have a fuel pressure regulator problem or faulty fuel transfer pump. There still could be an injector problem as well.
Where do I check the fuel pressure and is that pressure at idle or wot?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
On the filter housing there is an o ring boss hex plug to install a pressure tap for a gauge. That spec is constant. It should maintain at least that pressure.
Daniel Wilson
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
Hi Cory, I just wanted to follow up and see where things are with this and if you needed more help?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago

Hi Cory, I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I wanted to follow up to see what you found and if my information was helpful to you or if you still needed more help? Let me know and I will get this question closed out for you if you don't need further help with this.

It was helpful and finally found out the injector hold down on number two had been helicoiled and the hold down was letting the injector move up just enough to break the seal on the o ring and let compression into the fuel. Repaired it and it's running again
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 years ago
Thanks for the update. Glad you got this resolved.