Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Can you show me the sequence or how do an over head valve and…

Can you show me the...
Can you show me the sequence or how do an over head valve and injectors adjustment on a C15 Cat Thank you
10/30/2014
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Victor, my name is***** you for requesting me. Ill be glad to help. What is the engine serial number so I can be sure you get the correct information?Is this an Acert engine?

Not an Acert engine, just the regular C15 don't have a serial # ***** the moment just general knowledge

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Valve Lash
ValvesAcceptable Range for Valve Lash
Inlet
0.38 ± 0.08 mm (0.015 ± 0.003 inch)
Exhaust
0.76 ± .08 mm (0.030 ± 0.003 inch)

The following procedure should be followed when variable valve actuators (20 have been removed from the engine.

graphic
View Full Image

Loosen jam nut (1) .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE
Do not turn the cylinders clockwise. If you turn the cylinders clockwise, the piston assembly will fall out of the housing. If the piston assembly falls out of the housing, damage to the piston will occur.

Turn the cylinders (2) counterclockwise until the cylinders reach the stop.
Note: Do not force the cylinders. Damage will occur to the cylinders.

Install the variable valve actuators onto the cylinder head. Refer to the Specifications manual for the proper torque sequence.

Set cylinder 1 at the top center position. See Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position for the No. 1 Piston" for details on this procedure.
Note: The inlet valves should be fully closed. The rocker arm should rest on the base circle of the camshaft lobe.

Set lash (3) on the following cylinders: 1, 2 and 4. Refer to Specifications, "Variable Valve Actuators" for the amount of lash.

Place the feeler gauge between the piston pin and the rocker arm.
Note: The inlet rocker arm must be in contact with valve bridge (4) when you set the lash for variable valve actuators.

Turn the cylinder clockwise until the feeler gauge fits snugly between the piston and the rocker arm.

Tighten jam nut (1). Refer to Specifications, "Variable Valve Actuators" for the proper torque for the jam nut.

Turn the crankshaft clockwise by 360 degrees. This will position the No. 6 piston at the top center on the compression stroke. Install the timing bolt in the flywheel.

Repeat Step 5 for the following cylinders: 3, 5 and 6.

Connect the proper wiring harness to each solenoid.

Electronic Unit Injector - Adjust

Table 1 Required Tools
Part Number Part Name Quantity
9U-7227 Injector Height Gauge 1

Note: Determine the style of variable valve actuator that is installed on the engine. For the BXS engines, remove the variable valve actuators. For the MXS engines, it is not necessary to remove the variable valve actuators.

graphic
View Full Image

Injector Mechanism

(1) Rocker arm

(2) Adjustment screw

(3) Locknut

(4) 9U-7227 Injector Height Gauge

To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 3, 5, and 6 use the following procedure:

Put the No. 1 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position for No. 1 Piston".

Injector height gauge (4) is used in order to obtain a dimension of 78.0 ± 0.2 mm (3.07 ± 0.01 inch). The dimension is measured from the top of the unit injector to the machined ledge of the fuel injector body.

Turn unit injector adjustment screw (2) clockwise until the correct height is obtained.

Hold the adjustment screw in this position and tighten locknut (3) to a torque of 100 ± 10 N·m (74 ± 7 lb ft).

To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 1, 2, and 4, remove the timing bolt. Turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of engine rotation. The direction of engine rotation is counterclockwise, as the engine is viewed from the flywheel end. This will put the number 1 piston at the top center position on the exhaust stroke.

Repeat Steps 3 through 4.

Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel after all the unit injector adjustments have been made. Reinstall the valve mechanism cover.

Torque for adjustment locknut ... 50 ± 10 N·m (37 ± 7 lb ft)

Lash for the variable valve actuators ... 0.50 ± 0.08 mm (0.020 ± 0.003 inch)

Note: The inlet rocker arm must be in contact with valve bridge (4) when you set the lash for the variable valve actuators.

Let me know if you need further information or help.

what is " variable valve actuators (20 " also if I'm doing valves in 1,2 and 4 can i do injectors 3,5,6 before turning crankshaft ?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Hi Victor, Yes you can run the overhead in two revolutions of the crankshaft. Variable valve actuators are used on the Acert engines and will not apply here if this is not an Acert.

An Intake Valve Actuator or IVA (also known as a Varible Valve Actuator or VVA) is a device that contacts the intake rocker arm and holds the intake valve of an ACERT Cat engine open in an effort to lower the cylinder temperatures of the engine. This is done to help lower NOX emissions.

The Actuator is electronically controlled and hydraulically activated very similar to a Jake Brake. Your engine has 6 of them. One for each cylinder.

The variable valve actuators are used in order to control the closing of the inlet valves. The variable valve actuators do not operate until the engine oil has reached a desired temperature. The oil for the variable valve actuator flows from the oil filter base to an oil rail that is outside of the head. If the oil temperature is below the desired temperature, the diverter valve in the oil rail is open. The open diverter valve allows the oil to drain back into the head. When the oil temperature is increased, the diverter valve is closed. This closing pressurizes the oil rail and the housings for the variable valve actuators. The pressure in the oil rail will be 250 ± 50 kPa (36 ± 7 psi) higher than the rest of the lubrication system. Bleed holes are located in the housing in order to exhaust the pressurized oil.

The variable valve actuators hold the inlet valves open. The valves would normally close with the profile of the camshaft lobe. The solenoid is energized while the inlet valves are open. The solenoid allows pressurized oil to fill the cylinder. The pressurized oil pushes down the piston. As the inlet valve starts to close, the valve rocker arm for the inlet valve contacts the piston. The piston holds the inlet valves open.

In order to close the inlet valve, the solenoid is de-energized and the oil is allowed to leave the cylinder. The valve spring force pushes up on the rocker arm. The rocker arm pushes the piston back into the normal position of the piston. The inlet valves are then closed.

All other adjustments are the same with the exception of that additional step for the acert engines.

Where do i find this setting tool for injectors at a low price finally is there any mark by flywheel to know TDC on piston thanks

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 years ago
Manaco tool has it for around 95.00 Click here. Also look up a 3406 engine barring tool (pinion). I use a timing pin fixture which is spring loaded so when you bar the engine over the pin engages the hole in the flywheel. This threads into a pipe plug hole in the flywheel housing. Once pinned in the hole, you are at TDC 1-6. If you dont want to by the tool you can use a long 3/8" bolt but someone will need hold the bolt until it drops in the hole while barring the engine over.
Daniel Wilson