Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2003 Pete with a C-15 that the ecm ESN doesn't

I have a 2003 Pete...
I have a 2003 Pete with a C-15 that the ecm ESN doesn't match the stamp on the engine. How do i go about changing this? ecm ESN- MBN05367 engine ESN-6NZ20374. I would also like to know the max HP/ torque for the 6NZ serial number and if you can get me
the flash file?
10/29/2014
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 7 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
The reason it has not been changed is because the MBN and 6nz ECM's are different. Cat ET will not allow it to change to a prefix that does not go with the part number.
The highest ff for the 6nz is a 550. It may take a little while for be to get it. Be back as soon as I can.
So I cant flash that ecm with a 6NZ file then? because the ecm can't be a 6NZ?
Yes that is correct. Sorry.
Ok so in the ecm under the ecm identification parameters it says mbn can that be changed to match and not hurt anything? and what is the max HP/torque on the MBN file? Also im curious why would someone put a MBN ecm on a 6nz engine?
Sorry it can not. It can only be programmed to MBN. If you try to out in 6NZ, ET will not allow it. It will only allow an MBN to be programmed.
Not sure why they would do this. Maybe they just had it Laying around.
Ok thanks so I was curious at what it would say to me and it allowed me to change the ESN in the parameters to the 6NZ number so will it not run or what will it do? sorry for all the questions im curious and will make it worth your time. also if the MBN can go higher than 475 I'd like the flash file for that if you can get it thanks.
Sure no problem.
You will need access to cat factory passwords to change a serial number. This can only be gotten at the dealer. Sorry. When you go to put the number in, it will say serial not acceptable.
The MBN can go to a 525. Let me see if I can get the file.
Ok thanks and yes i had to put in factory passwords to change it just wanted to make sure it won't harm the engine or ecm in anyway.
10-4.
So just to make sure ive got all this straight I still can't flash it with a 6NZ file because the file won't be compatible with the ecm even though ive changed the ESN to the 6NZ in the parameters?
Yes that is correct. Unless something has changed with ET it can't be done. There no hurt in trying. If it does not take the file, it will not hurt anything.
Sweet send me the 6NZ file first since it won't hurt. If that doesnt work then I can just change my esn back and flash it with the MBN file thanks so much for your time.... like i said I'll try to make it worth your time!
Ok. No problem.
Here is the info you need.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11922365/2707069.FLS
Ok so the flash went through as a 6NZ 550 hp but my personality code is not programmed and do i need to change my fuel settings? Is there anything else I need to change?
You will need to change the personality module code.
I would also put in the fuel settings for the 6nz engine.
FLS -19
FTS 15
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thank you so much everything is programmed and rated as the 6nz! Idk how or why it worked but thanks again for your efforts:)
You are very welcome my friend. I'm glad I could help. Thanks for the bonus.