Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I just did a major out of frame on a 3406b new oil pump no…

Customer Question
I just did a major...
I just did a major out of frame on a 3406b new oil pump no leaking on jakes good pressure to the filter but low to nothing oil pressure?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/21/2014
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.
May I ask why the engine was overhauled?
Was there a failure?

I changed oil pump its pumping good to the filter I tried external manual gauges direct to oil galley, I checked jake brakes don't see good oil to them, Im losing it from the oil cooler or lower side .

Thanks for the information.
I would suspect one of three things are causing your problem.
The first is to check the piston cooling jets and make sure none are broken off.
Second is to double check the oil pump piping.
And lastly is the relief valve in the oil cooler is open.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

the oil cooler was taken apart and serviced re sealed and check for leaks where is that relief valve? The engine was majored due to spun bearings replaced crank and all new parts. also had the block head machined to spec.

This engine was built on the stand with careful consideration with every piece and bearing. But I cant see where I went wrong cause its pumping oil to the filter side but not up to build pressure?

Thanks for the information.
There are plugs in the oil filter housing. I would remove and inspect them for debris. If a bearing was spun. I would want to make sure there is not any debris in the valve area.
Also. If the crank was replaced with a reman crank. The rod and main bearing journals were most likely turned. So I would also want to make sure that standard Cat rod and main bearings were not installed. I have seen and done this myself with a turned crank. If the crank journals have been turned and standard bearings were installed. The oil pressure will be very low.
Let me know if you need more help.

The crank is completely standard not been turned, the oil cooler was completely taken apart at time of rebuild blown out cleaned and re-sealed. I do that on all engines at rebuild. I just had to pan off and put new oil pump and replaced all o rings on the oil tubes this morning. Engine runs like new, just lost pressure and I am getting strong pressure at the filter side but not going to the top end so if it were an oil cooler you think it would loose it that quick?

Thanks for the information.
Only time I have seen it be an oil cooler and the cooler was completely disassembled is if the cooler had a weird crack in it. The only way to know is to replace the cooler. Small cracks are hard to see.
If the cooler turns out to be OK, and the crank and bearings are all standard. I must suspect a cam bearing. If it has not already been replaced or inspected.