Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 1995 GMC top kick with a 3116 Cat 215hp (170,000 miles)

that started blowing white smoke...
I have a 1995 GMC top kick with a 3116 Cat 215hp (170,000 miles) that started blowing white smoke real bad even when warmed up, but doesn't seem to be miss firing at all and the turbo looks fine. The smoke smells like raw fuel and burns the eyes. After the truck sits for 20 minutes it won't restart as if it gets air bound. What could cause this condition?
9/4/2014
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Could you get me the Cat engine serial number please?
Cat makes a mechanical 3116 and an electronic 3116. Just want to make sure what engine you have.

engine serial #9GK13566

Thanks for the information Hank.
Unfortunately I have seen this problem many times over the years.
This white smoke is a sign of one of two things.
The first and most common is air in the fuel. Two things cause the air to get in the fuel. The first is a hole in the fuel inlet line. This is common on gmc trucks. They have a plastic inlet line that rubs and starts sucking air. To verify, I like to connect another line to the engine and drop it in the tank. If the smoke goes away. It's a hole in the line. Very common on gmc trucks. Second is air getting last an injector. To confirm I like to out a clear sight glass on the fuel return line. If it looks like beer foam. Air is getting past an injector.
The other thing I see is the over head needs to be adjusted. These engine will retard injector timing as the engine wears. If the engine has no air in the fuel. I would have the overhead adjusted. There are special Cat tools needed to adjust the overhead.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

We bypassed the fuel line like you said and are getting the beer foam out of the return line. The engine tries to start, runs a little bit and dies out.

Thanks for the information.
If the inlet has been bypassed and your getting beer foam out of the return, I would suspect compression is getting passed an injector. When this happens, the injectors will need to be removed and the copper cups replaced or cut with a. Cat reamer. There are special tools needed to perform this work.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert