Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2006 IHC 4300 with 466 engine-140,000 miTruck lost power,

2006 IHC 4300 with 466...
2006 IHC 4300 with 466 engine-140,000 mi
Truck lost power, about 25%. Installed new fuel filter, cleaned filter screen, and no difference. Changed fuel supply pump from another good running truck and power increased but still not 100%. Truck starts fine and does not miss or stall, it is just low on power. The amber engine light comes and goes but there are no codes showing. I am thinking about putting a different filter housing on next.
7/3/2014
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 8 years ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can !Can we start with the last 8 digits of the VIN number please ?

Also have you checked your fuel pressure at the fuel rail where the schraeder valve is ? It should be around 60 psi! I would also try another fuel pressure regulator! It sits in the bottom of the fuel filter housing inside - It has an allen head on it at the bottom next to the standpipe ! We also need to check for air in the fuel at that schraeder valve!

Hi Andy

I am no longer at the shop but here is what i can tell you now. The vin# ***** ***** While waiting for a reply I did install a new pressure regulator which did not change anything. So far I have not seen any air in the fuel. I haven't checked fuel pressure yet but will try to do so in the morning and get back to you if that is ok.

Thanks, Dave

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcwr3fi6a4z77sx/How%20to%20check%20codes%20three%20digit.txt

Follow the steps in this link to check engine codes! They do not come up on the dash ! Those are body controller codes that show up there!

Any codes in memory? This would help to narrow it down!

Hi Andy

I am getting code 111 and it says No Faults at the odometer. I am not getting any air at the schraeder valve. I believe the threads on the schraeder valve are metric and I do not have a metric pressure gauge. Checking the fuel pressure will have to wait until I can get a gauge or an adapter and today being a holiday everything is closed.

OK 111 means no faults detected ! Let me know how it goes.

I found what I needed to check the fuel pressure. I have 42 lbs with the needle fluctuating at an idle and 45-48 lbs when I rev the engine. With the engine at 1000 rpm the gauge fluctuates rapidly from 40-48 lbs.

That s low ! I would make sure the strainer is clean underneath the filter housing and replace the fuel pressure regulator . It is located in the filter housing below the filter and next to the standpipe . It has an Allen head on it.

If that doesn't bring the pressure up then you will likely need to replace the fuel transfer pump mounted on the high pressure oil pump with 3 bolts .

I have cleaned the strainer, new fuel filter, replaced the fuel pressure regulator and changed the transfer pump. I did all this yesterday.

OK do you have air in the fuel system ? If no air in the fuel then you may have extra inlet restriction causing low fuel pressure

I haven't seen any air in the fuel system. I'm not sure what you mean by extra inlet restriction.

It s like drinking a soda pop out of a kinked straw. It is hard to draw the pop up when kinked or if something is stuck at the bottom of the straw . Maybe you have a kinked fuel line or something stuck in the bottom of the fuel tank standpipe inside the tank .

What should the fuel pressure be?

Sorry about the time lag ! Technical problems ! It should be around 60 psi ! When you are under load , it will drop even lower ! Have you checked for kinked lines or something inside the tank? Try loosening standpipe one full turn on top of the tank and see if pressure climbs!

No, I haven't checked the line or the tank but I will tomorrow. When road testing after making changes it seems to act differently. One time it acts improved and the next time it will act as bad or worse.

If no codes present , then it is likely fuel related! Try looseniing that standpipe ! This will raise it in case the bottom is straight and against the bottom of the tank ! This is what you fuel pressure gauge should look like to check for air in fuel !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1suerstf8hiaif/fuel%20pressure%20gauge.png

Hi Andy

I pulled the standpipe and found no restrictions or problems. The fuel line from the tank to the filter also looks good without any kinks or leaks. I then put about 5 lbs of air pressure in the fuel tank and my fuel pressure increased to 52 lbs and when I bleed the pressure off it went back down to 42 lbs. Even though I have changed the filter and pressure valve could I have a restriction of some sort in the filter housing itself?

Am I supposed to rate your service every time we chat or just when we are finished?

At the end of our session ! That is the only time ! Bonus is appreciated too but optional !

Have you tried putting fuel in a 5 gallon container and running the engine with that instead ? and check fuel pressure then to see if it is higher !

If it is , you have a problem from the tank up to the filter housing!

Or you can use a fuel inlet restriction test to check inlet restriction to the filter housing ! Spec is no higher than 6 " of water of restriction! I believe you have too much and this will definitely affect your pressure and engine operation.

So either try running it with alternative fuel source and alternative fule line of the same size to the fuel filter housing , or tee in a restriction gauge into the fuel suppy line to the filter housing ! No higher thanm 6" of water ( on the vacuum gauge)

I am going to try hooking another fuel source right now. Have you ever seen problems like this end up being the filter housing. I can switch that with one off a running truck. I am not sure I understand the restriction gauge bit.

I'm not set up to use Skype here at the shop otherwise I would gladly accept.

I just ran the engine with the transfer pump hooked to a 5 gallon can and there is no difference in pressure. Still 42-45 lbs.

Ok so if the fuel pump , regulator , alternative fuel source, new filter ans strainer were cleaned and replaced, then yes , I would try a new filter housing ! I have seen one or two instances were fule was bypassing inside the housing ! Give that a whirl!

Ok I will do that in the morning. Just to double check, I installed the fuel pressure gauge where the schaeder valve goes on the fuel filter housing and I am looking for at least 60 lbs at an idle.

The schrader valve is on the fuel rail on the engine ! Not on the fuel filter housing ! And yes , you are looking for closer to 60 psi . The regulator is set for 60 psi .So the pump should be able to maintain near 60 psi throughout all ranges from idle to high idle no load , and high idle full load !

Hi Andy

I found the schaeder valve on the fuel rail and the pressure there is 59-60 lbs. Could this be a turbo boost problem? I removed the hose going to the after cooler and found that the turbo is passing oil. I can't see where the fins are hitting the housing but the shaft does have excessive play. I mentioned before that this problem is not always the same. Right now if I floor the accelerator the engine goes to 1800 rpm and just hangs there for 10 seconds give or take and then I can hear the turbo come in and then the engine will go on up to 2500+ rpm acting normal.

Ok, do you have 60 psi at low idle , high idle no load , and at hidle full road down the road? We need to check at all those conditions ! Pump should be able to develop and maintain that pressure throughout all conditions. I have seen fuel pressure ok at the shop at idle and high idle but going down the road under full load , it would drop off because of more fuel consumption at one time under heavy load!

If your turbo is leaking oil , then it needs to be replaced for sure! Should not be passing any oil at all !

How are we doing with this ? Do you still need help ? Let me know ! Thanks ! Don't forget to rate my service ! That's how I am rewarded !

Hi Andy

I have a new turbo coming later today. As I said the old one was passing oil and the actuator arm didn't seem to have the same range of motion as my other truck which is the same. The actuator was not set up but it does bind some and does not stop in the same position after it cycles when the key is first turned on. I am not saying this is my problem but the turbo does need replacing before moving on. As I mentioned the engine goes to 1800 rpm and just hangs there for 10 seconds give or take and then I can hear the turbo come in and then the engine will go on up to 2500+ rpm acting normal. I will definitely rate you excellent help and service when we are done.

Thank you sir ! Much appreciated ! Was likely hanging at 1800 because of binding .

How are we doing on this ? Do you still need help ? Let me know and I would be happy to try and assist further ! Please don't forget to rate my service to you at the end of this session ! This is the only way that I am rewarded for my efforts! Thanks!

Are you still needing help ? Let me know ! Thanks !
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician