Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Hi, I have a 2006 pete 357 with c-13 cat that recently developed…

Hi, I have a 2006...
Hi, I have a 2006 pete 357 with c-13 cat that recently developed a distinct hesitation while driving. Almost like the key was turned off briefly, it comes right back but seems to be getting more frequent. We changed all fuel filters, and checked tank pickup tube for blockage but found none. thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/1/2014
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.

Does the yellow check engine light come on when this happens? Or no light?

I have not noticed it - not positive but most likely no, i have been reading guages when it happens so probably would notice CEL

Thanks for the information Tim.

Since the check engine light does not come on, I would suspect 1 of 2 things are causing your problem.

The first is low fuel pressure. If there is a low fuel pressure problem, the check engine light will not come on and the engine will have low power. Your engine should maintain a fuel pressure between 75 and 90 psi. There is a plug beside of the secondary fuel filter that is used to check the pressure. If it is low, I would first try the fuel filters if you haven’t already. If it is still low, you may have a failed fuel pressure regulator, which is located underneath the bottom of the filter housing. I have replaced a ton of these for low fuel pressure. It is kinda a known problem. You could also have a weak fuel transfer pump or restricted hand primer pump, if your engine has one.

Second is a sticking turbo wastegate. If the fuel pressure turns out to be OK, I would suspect the wastegate on the turbo is getting stuck.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

i did change fuel filters, the pressure regulator- is that a cat item,or parts house carry them? also, regarding wastegate, there is a small diameter steel tube that i believe supplies or regulates the wastegate on the turbo-it rusted off and previous owner reattached it with silicone caulk :( ive been meaning to replace that but had been running fine. I will check it out again tomorrow-thanks

You are very welcome Tim. I am happy to help. The regulator is a Cat item. Its located underneath the secondary fuel filter housing. It looks like about a one inch plug but its a regulator.

I would check out the tube on the wastegate. It sounds like it is most likely your problem is the line has been replaced.

Let me know if you need more help.

Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert