Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Helo I have a 2009 kenworth w a c-13 acert engine, it is not regenerating and the regen light is flashing.

helo I have a 2009...
helo I have a 2009 kenworth w a c-13 acert engine, it is not regenerating and the amber regen light is flashing. I believe I need to pm the truck its got 12k since last pm but its a blacktop truck so its got a lot of hours on it also. I believe the culprit is a fuel enable valve on side of motor. question is does that diagnoses make sense? and were do I put def fluid in this truck I looked all over for container and I cant find it?
6/21/2014
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.

The Cat C13 does not use. DEF fluid. Not need to add anything.

If the ***** *****ght is flashing, the system needs to do a regen. If it not able to do one while driving. Pull over and set the park brake, then activate the manual regen switch on the dash. Once the regen completes. The light should go out.

Pleas reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

ok it wont do manual regen I tried. there is a engine code spn 4077 but that's with a generic heavy duty code reader. have you ever heard of a fuel enable valve? I called ho penn machinery ( my local cat dealer) but they are closed and I need some kind of answer for my customer

Yes I have heard of the fuel enable valve. It's the most likely cause of the 4077 fuel code.

If the system will not regen, you most likely have a regen fuel problem. The tough part is a generic code reader can not read all of the codes on the C13 engine. It's best to get someone with Cat ET to read the ECM.

Let me know if you need more help.

ok thanks, this truck has the amber regen light flashing. no drivability issues, however the owner is afraid he gona break down any minute. I don't know wat advise to give him. amber light just started flashing and he came in how much time does he have?

Hey Steve,

If the amber regen light is blinking, the system needs to complete a regen now. If he leaves with the truck, he will not get far. If a regen is not completed, the soot loading in the DPF will get worse and the engine will begin to derate.

Thanks for the positive rating and bonus I really appreciate it. Let me know if you need more help.