Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

We have a 2002 sterling, 3126 cat engine. It will start and then quit. now seeing error code ecu 128...

good day....we have a 2002...
good day....we have a 2002 sterling, 3126 cat engine. It will start and then quit. now seeing error code ecu 128.......we have changed oil/filter and then parked the truck. Went to start to day....will turn over, ran for a minute and then quit...will not start.....any suggestions would be great :)
6/15/2014
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.

128 indicates there is an engine diagnostic code. That's all. It does not indicate what the code is. To determine, there are two things you can do.

First is have a service tool connected and read the ECM.

Second is to use the cruise control switches to pull what is called two digit flash codes. If you have never done this, here is how.

Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.

Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.

Hello again....here is the sequence of flashes

6 (pause) 2 (pause) 3(pause) 9(pause)8(pause)6(pause)2(pause)7(pause)1(pause)4(pause)9(pause)1(pause)2(pause)

Good job. Thanks for the information Pat.

Code 62 is defined as a low coolant level warning. This can shut the engine down but it will restart.

Code 39 is defined as an injection actuation pressure system problem. Most likely a faulty Heui pump or leaking injector. This can shut the engine down and keep it from restarting.

Not sure about the 8.

Code 71 is a key switch fault. This is caused by faulty 12 volt power to the ECM. This is a common code to see.

Code 49 is defined as an inlet heater fault. This can not cause a shut down

Code 12 is defined as coolant level voltage fault. Most likely a faulty sensor.

I would suspect that either code 39 or 62 is causing your shutdown. If the engine will only crank over and not start. I would suspect its code 39.

Let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist.

Thank you so much.....we were hoping that it wasn't the Heui pump...sorry for the incorrect spelling in the original email. Because of the amount of work to replace the pump.....would it be suggested that we pull the injectors first to check o rings.....

You are very welcome. I am happy to assist.

No I would not pull tem yet. If there is a leak, you can see it by pulling the valve cover and cranking the engine. If there is a leak at an injector causing the no start, you will see it.

If there is no leak, I would suspect the pump.

Let me know if you need more help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Valve cover removed and no leaks....sigh....so on to step two....do you remove the air compressor to get to all of the bolts holding the heui pump or is there an easier way

Thanks for the update.

You can get it off without removing the compressor. Just use a long 3/8 extension and wobble socket to get to the lower bolt.

Let me know if you need more help.

Good evening.....just to let you know, my husband purchased a new Heui pump and installed it today. The first start took awhile finally went ran for a minute and then quit.....tried again and it started up and kept running. Went back about 1/2 later and it started just fine.....looks like the problem has been resolved. Thanks so much again

You are very welcome my friend. I am so happy you got it fixed. Great job.