Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a C-13 Acert in a 2007 Peterbilt 387. I am getting a…

Customer Question
I have a C-13 Acert...
I have a C-13 Acert in a 2007 Peterbilt 387. I am getting a 2949-7 Check Engine Code, I also have no Jake Brakes or Cruise. I pulled the Valve cover and noticed when cold cylinders 1,3,5 are dropping oil from the valve opposite of the jake adjustment, but cylinders 2,4,6 are not. I did replace the VVA oil pressure switch on front right of head, no change in code status.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/14/2014
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.

This code indicates there is a problem with the IVA oil pressure circuit. I have seen this many times.

Most often the problem is the control valve that you replaced. When it's not the problem, I normally find a leak at the valve caused by a damaged housing or a leak at an IVA housing. When the engine is first started, the valve will dump oil tree times. Then it should stop. If you see it continue to leak. That's your problem.

If the valve is not leaking. I suspect the leaks you see on the Iva's are the cause.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

So what is going on if 1,3,and 5 IVA's are leaking, but 2,4, and 6 are not? Also, 1,3, and 5 quit leaking after the engine reached 100 degrees or so.

Thanks for the information Nicholas.

The Iva's do not work at low temps. Only after the engine temps get up over 100 degrees. It's normal to see leaks at low temps. But not at normal operating temps.

Not sure why only half of them are leaking. These valves are normally open and allow oil to pass. But when they operate. And the solenoid is powered. They close.

Let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist.

So if only half of them are leaking when cold that is not a problem? Do these in any way affect the Jake Brakes?

No not a problem as long as they are not leaking while at operating temp.

If there was a large enough leak, it could effect the jakes.

Let me know if you need more help.

I am now getting a 128-027-7 PID code. along with a 2949-7. Do these point to a similar problem? I re-ran the overhead and changed the external IVA control sensor/actuator with a BRAND NEW piece from cat. still getting codes.

Thanks for the update.

128 just indicate an engine fault is active. Not sure about 27-7. I do not see a 27-7 on the list if codes. I suspect it indicates the same as the 2949-7 code.

You may want to look for a leak around the Iva's. I would get the engine warm. Then disconnect the engine speed timing sensors. Then crank the engine and look for leaks around the Iva's.

only oil leakage we could see was on the jake/iva housing mount. There are two allen bolts and two Nuts that screw onto studs. We have oil leakage from the two nuts on cylinders 3 & 4, could this be the problem? because other than that there were no oil leaks.

Yeah that should be the problem. There should be no leak at that area at all. Most likely a failed O ring. Once that leak is stopped. The code should go away.

There is no O-Ring, it is just a straight stud. Am I missing an o-ring?

Oh I see. No O ring there. You are referring to the other mounts. I thought you meant in the front side where the oil feeds from the head.

Is it leaking at the valve on the inside of the cover base?

No, the only leaks are on the mounting studs

I see. Normal to see oil leak there.

There are only two other things I have seen cause this.

One is a faulty relief valve in the valve cover base. It's near the rear. It looks like about a one inch plug but it's a valve.

The other is a leak on the bottom of one of the IVA housings. Normally a plug. It's hard to see from the top. You can either remove all and check the bottom plugs for tightness or swap a known good IVA with each ofnthenthree IVA's one at a time.

do you happen to have diagrams or pictures of this valve and or plugs on bottom of IVA's?

Let me see what I can find. Be back shortly.

Thank you sir, I appreciate it greatly!!

No problem.

Hey Nicholas.

3 is the relief valve. 1 is the plugs that leak.

Click here >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/akyzrsbseae4xrt/Valve%20and%20Leak.PDF

Pulled all 3 IVA assemblies off, cleaned em good, reinstalled, relashed, fired it up and I have no oil leaks, minus the studs to mount the IVA's, we did just notice though that the Pistons that are supposed to come down to keep valve duration open are not moving at all. What in the world would cause all 6 to not act as expected?

Thanks for the information.

If there is not a leak, I must suspect a faulty check valve.

The pistons may only work momentarily when started if the engine is cold. After that, they do not operate until the engine is warm, under load, and below 1600 RPM's.

Let me know if you need more help.