Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Hi, i have an 99 n14 celect plus in western star. hp is set…

Hi, i have an 99...
Hi, i have an 99 n14 celect plus in western star. hp is set at 525. I just performed an out of frame overhaul and when run for a while it had bubbles coming from the rear of the center and rear heads. the deck was cut .005" along with counter bores. I used all cummins parts with stock height head gaskets. I checked liner protrusion when installing parts and came up with .006" on all. I removed the heads to recheck and get a second opinion, still the same measurements. I am wondering what route to go next. one note I did see the o ring for the oil galley closest to the leak was compressed but may not have been as much as the gasket I took off. should I look at aftermarket gaskets or .010" over sized gaskets? I followed the cummins book procedure for head install with the exception of using ARP stud and bolt lube on the threads and heads and washers. thanks jay
4/15/2014
Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 8 years ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

Hi Jay, my name is XXXXX XXXXX having trouble today.I will do my best to assist you in resolving your issue.

Sorry for long delay.

What did you torque head to?

When you checked liner protrusion did you have liner hold downs installed?

Did you check head bolts for stretching before re using?
Did you check head bolts for bottoming out in block?

The bubbles you seen where they just air bubbles?

Let me know

head torque was to spec by book. I checked for stretch all head bolts passed I do not have the cummins hold down but I built one that puts pressure on liners at multiple spots.they looked like air bubbles but there was oil hanging on ledge at rear of block.the bubbles were very small but visible.I did not check for bottoming out but the block was clean and the bolt holes were clean. and dry. also I have the factory books as to where i am getting specs. thanks

Thanks for info Jay.

As long as you used something to hold down liners while checking than that's good.

Not using lube on bolts and washers will provide a inaccurate torque on bolts.

Head bolt torque is 3 steps starting from center of head working in a circle pattern.
The last step in head bolt torque is turn head bolts 90 degrees,I wanted to make sure you did that.
It's called torque turn method.
100 ft lbs.
220 ft lbs
+90 degrees

You should not have to use over sized gaskets.

Let me know if you still have questions.
Thanks
spanky

that is the torque spec I used and I also used molly grease on threads and heads of the bolts.

The molly grease you used was that like a anti seize or synthetic grease?

Where the heads re con?

How long did you run after overhaul and was it put under a load?

No other issues with engine besides just the bubbles and the little bit of oil?

Let me know

I put 200 miles or so on and the only load I could was hauling around a 10,000# XXXXX the moly grease was an ARP product designed for true torque values. the motor ran beautiful but the turbo is leaking some oil.The heads and block machine work were from diesel cast welding. all they do is heavy truck motor machine work. I am thinking of trying factory gaskets again and using copper coat on them. felpro gaskets are more expensive and are a week away so they wont work. I need to be working by may 1st so I am running out of time.

Hi Jay.

Also when torquing heads are you torquing to 220 and then backing off and re torquing,,,, if not you should and then the final 90.
That lube your using should be fine.

Then the only other thing I would check is the head bolts bottoming out.

If you run into any questions once apart let me know,,,, question will stay open for a couple weeks after rating.

Thanks
spanky
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Thank you for positive rating Jay very much appreciated.

Take care
spanky

What was your thought on copper coat on the head gaskets?

I'm only familiar with Cummins Gaskets since I worked for a dealer that is all we could use.
I have used it on some applications with good results. So try it it can't hurt anything.

Good luck
spanky

The truck runs. I have not driven due to a lealeaking turbo. It did not apear to have any leaks in the short time I drove it.

That's good news glad to hear it all worked out.

Best of luck to you
spanky