Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have an 02 sterling with a 3126. We dont use it much and…

I have an 02 sterling...
I have an 02 sterling with a 3126. We don't use it much and it has given us virtually no trouble. The other day, I shut it off and it wouldn't crank back up. It would turn good, but not hit. I took it to the cat dealer. They said they replaced a power wire for the ECM and replaced the cam sensor. It ran great for a few days then today it started sputtering pulling hills and the engine fault light would come on and go off. It finally stalled about a mile from the yard and the light stayed on. Now. It will crank sometimes and seem fine briefly. Then it starts sputtering, the engine fault light comes on and it will die. Is there any way to diagnose it without taking it back to the dealer? FYI, it doesn't have cruise.
3/27/2014
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.

Yes it's possible to pull codes but only with cruise control switches. I am sorry. That is the only way. I wish you had cruise switches.

From what your describing, it sounds like you may have an injection actuation pressure system problem. I see this a lot on these engines. Unfortunately the codes would need to be read either with a service tool like the dealer has or using cruise switches. I am sorry. I hate you can't pull the codes.

The only thing you may be able to try is to take a wire and insert it in the rear most truck connector on pins 35 and 44 and run it to a ground. Hold it there until the yellow check engine light blinks. Then count the blinks.

This is all that would happen if you had cruise switches. Key on. Engine not running. Cruise off. Then hold set or resume until the light blinks.

If you can get me the code. I can tell you what it means.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Thanks. I'll check it in the morning and see what happens. Not trying to blame anyone, but could this be related to the dealer having to take the heui pump off to replace the cam sensor?

I have an OTC 3417 that I have connected, but it tells me there are no codes. This should work, but I have had limited success with this on Cat engines.

Ok. Sounds good Barry.

Yeah sometimes those tools are not fully compatable with Cat engines. If the light is coming on, there should be a code in the ECM.

And yes, it's possible taking the Heui pump off can be related.

Let me know if you need more help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Not sure if this helps or not. I got my scanner to connect. It still said there were no codes, but I could monitor the data stream. Everything seemed fine except it wasn't making injector actuation pressure. Every now and then while cranking it would jump to 175 and the. Go back to zero. I unplugged the sensor and it shows 580 while cranking, but doesn't start. I swapped the regulator from another running engine and it still wouldn't start with the sensor plugged in or unplugged. Does this system operate like the international engines where I can supply 12 volts to the regulator and crank the engine over with a manual gauge connected? I'm thinking I may have a bad pump.

Thanks for the information Barry.

Yes they operate just like the International engines.

Yes it sounds like you have either a bad pump or possible a leak at an injector. You may want to remove the valve cover and cranks the engine and look for leaks.

Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert