Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

if I have a broken axle can I remove the broken section that…

if I have a broken...
if I have a broken axle can I remove the broken section that engages the diff. bolt it back up to seal the axle. then lock my power divider and finish the haul until repair can be made.
3/23/2014
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 8 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman
Hi I'm Wayne
I will help you with this

which axle broke , not drive, but rear axle ..correct

I believe the rear but not sure it would just about have to be for the truck to move with the diff lock locked. which it does

HI

Will it drive .pull with out diff locked
if yes
, drop the drive shaft between the 2 diff.
if you just pull the axle, your going to grind all kind of metal into bearings,
and wipe out the whole carrier

no it wont pull unless diff lock is locked. The driver was shifting gears heard a bang and the truck quit moving. he locked his diff lock and pulled off the road. so by removing the broken piece of axle if that's the problem how will I produce metal into the bearings

Hi

OK that info it is drive axle broken,
I do not know how far you need to drive it,
but if you are on rear axle only, high Ratio,
your speed is limited to about 40-42 MPH
if you don't drop drive shaft , all broken parts get ground up , mixing into bearings
That is for front axle, not rear
so rear axle is pulling, so YES remove both front axles , to limit damage

I guess I am misinformed. Could you please explain how the front and rear axles are powered. I thought both ratios where the same. and the rears and front sets received equal power unless one wheel was spinning then all power was directed to that wheel. If the diff lock is locked then if one wheel on each axle would spin if traction was lost.

can you clear this up for me

thanks

HI

!st axle is 3.76 or so
2nd axle is dropped for more traction,
that is why they tell you never drive with it engaged
it is turning faster ..........
so as you say, one wheel spinning, front axle,
another on rear axle, spinning faster , lower ratio, to get more torque,
while front is grabbing for power

almost done just want to be clear on this so under normal conditions power is provided to both axles with the power divider unlocked but if that's true how does the different ratios work?

Hi

Front axle is the only power,
rear axle is a tag a-long, per say,
untill you engage diff. lock then it transfers power to rear axle,
which has a smaller ring gear

can the rear axle be the power axle I am pretty sure ours is that's the axle that the drivers usually break we have an 05 pete 05 ken and 08 pete all three have had this problem at on time or another

HI

NO........ Front axle is the drive axle
never the rear
what breaks the front axle is power divider on, stuck in Mud,Ice,Snow,
get out and for get to dis engage it ,
I have seen this soo many times, asked driver
what happened, tells story, then says I forgot it engaged for a while

confused now why is our rear axle breaking? power divider was out truck will only move with it engaged

Hey Mike ,
Now you have me confused,
you said would not move,
unless the power divider was locked,
now you are saying rear axle is broken

Please re explain,
does the truck move , with power divider off,
only will move with it locked

No sir it will only move with the power divider engaged and the rear axle is broken I am almost certain (almost) that our trucks drive form the rear when you engaged the diff lock the front axle at that time begins to pull

HI Mike

do you know for a fact a rear axle is broken,
we can not guess here , need to know for sure

the front axle is driven axle, unless the power divered is engaged, then it is the rear axle doing the pushing,

at a higher Ratio

this is the best I can make it clear

Wayne, Journeyman

ok ill have to go put hands on myself I am relaying information thanks for your help

Morning Mike,

OK, let me know
Good morning
Your info was not correct it is the rear axle this truck is driven from the rear we are making repairs now
HI Mike,

I am very surprised to hear that , your rear drives the truck,
I looked it up that WIKI, here is what they say

What axle drives a tandem truck? What axle drives a tandem truck? In: Tractors and Farm Equipment [Edit categories] Answer: In normal operation, the front drive axle (i.e., the one closest to the cab).
I did lots of research before we talked you can find info on both set ups
Well just glad it is going for you Mike

maybe next time

Just spoke with Kenworth service both axles drive 50 % when you throw power divider it makes sure both drives turn at least one wheel
Hi Mike
Thank you for that

but did he say front was the drive
Thank you