Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am having a problem with a 1999 CCC rear load garbage truck…

I am having a problem...
I am having a problem with a 1999 CCC rear load garbage truck with a 3126 (7AS49610).
The truck was shutting down when you tried to compact trash (like starving for fuel) and may start right back up or may have to sit an hour before it would start. Scanner showed an Injection Actuation pressure code at first and then ECM stopped comunicating.
Installed new ECM now check engine light flashes very slowly and truck is hard to start. Truck runs rough at startup and almost shuts down but once warmed up seems to do fine until you shut it down then may take an hour before you can restart. Cat program on scan tool will not initiate but generic program getting codes. Also getting Flash Codes in this order #56 #39 #32 #25 #27 #49. No Injection Actuation Code. Cat said original ECM was ok but I put new one on anyway as it was a B to get to. My mechanic says he thinks new ECM was flashed wrong.
3/2/2014
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.

From what you are describing, it sounds like an injection actuation pressure problem. I see this a lot. When the engine gets warms, the oil gets thin. When there is an injection actuation pressure problem, it can shut down and be hard to start when engine is warm.

You have a code 39 which is an injection actuation pressure system problem. I would suspect one of four things are causing your problem.

The first and most common is a faulty IAPCV. Injection Actuation Pressure Control valve. It's on your Heui pump. I have replaced hundreds of these for this problem over the years. I would consider replacing this first.

Second is a faulty Heui pump.

Third is a leaking injector. To confirm, you would need to remove the valve cover and look for leaks while cranking.

Lastly is a faulty injection actuation pressure sensor. It has three wires and is located on top of the engine near the front. If it is faulty, you can unplug it and the engine will start. If this happens. The sensor is faulty.

Pleas reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Before I put the new ECM on the check engine light was not on after truck was running and the truck would throttle up when compacting trash. Now the light stays on and slowly flashes. also the engine will not throttle up when called for. Could this be caused by one of the above. Also what does the IAPCV look like and is there a way to test it?

Thanks for the information.

If the light is flashing, there is an active code. Yes it can be caused by one of the above.

The IAPCV screws into the Heui pump. It has two wires connected to it. It's on the non turbo side of the engine.

Code 25 is a boost pressure fault. This causes low power but not hard starting.

Code 27 is a coolant temp code. This can not cause hard starting.

Code 32 is a throttle sensor code. This can cause the engine not to rev up but not cause hard starting.

Code 49 is an inlet heater fault. It can not cause hard starting.

Code 56 is a programming problem. Like the serial number or fuel settings are not programmed.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks for the help I will try the IAPCV first. Also where would the Boost Pressure sensor be so I can check the wiring.

You are very welcome. I am happy to help.

The boost pressure sensor is in the intake manifold. It has three wires going to it.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks again. Have a great day.

You are very welcome my friend. You had a great day as well.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert