Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Im working on a 2009 Sterling tractor with an acert c15. Truck…

Im working on a 2009...
Im working on a 2009 Sterling tractor with an acert c15.
Truck runs for 20-30 mins then dies like someone turned off the key. I can get two diag codes out of the dash cluster, SID 25 4 FAIL 07, and
SID 23 1 FAIL 09. I cant get my cat et or prolink scanners to connect and get a little more information about these codes. Any help?
2/13/2014
Technician: ClaytonH729, Mechanic replied 8 years ago
ClaytonH729
ClaytonH729, Mechanic
Hi, Welcome to Just Answer, I can help you

There are two large connectors connecting the power and grounds of the ECM to the batteries.

These are notorious for corroding, or losing contact.

The wires are little smaller than your pinky, they are black, follow the wires along the firewall and down. Driver side

If you could get me the last 6 digits of the vin, I can get a picture of the location if you cannot find them.

last 6 are AH0663. After talking to the customer some more the truck will run then die and then crank but no start. After sitting for a few hours it will start and run again, with the same result.

When it starts and runs, are you able to communicate with it using the Scanner?

No, neither the et or prolink. Can you tell me what those codes are? The condition exists regardless of what the truck is doing, whether running down the road or sitting idle in the yard. Its an equipment transport truck for the BLM and sees its fair share of rough roads

Those codes do not help me out.

I tried using a BXS serial and a MXS serial, nothing is coming up except for a J1939 problem, which could be the reason you cannot communicate.

I am going to be gone for a few hours, I have to leave.

I am going to opt out and see if Cat Man can take over.

alright thanks

Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.

The first thing I would like to do is check the power and ground to the Engine ECM. If your engine is shutting down and your tool will not communicate, there are only two reason why.

The first is no power to the ECM. When it is a crank no start, I would remove the rear most connector from the ECM and check for power on pins 52, 53, and 70. The grounds are 65 and 67. If you have good power and ground, I would suspect an ECM shorting problem. Its rare but I have seen this before. If you do not have power, you most likely have a faulty power supply relay or fuse.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

I have good power and grounds on the mentioned pins, and all fuses and relays have tested good. Any other suggestions? I'm not a fan of throwing parts on just to see if it works

Thanks for the information.

So you have good power and ground to the ECM and the engine still will not start, nor communicate with the service tool?

That's correct

Thanks for the information.

It sounds like the problem is the ECM. I have seen this before. Unfortunately the best way to confirm is to install a known good ECM. I have a test one that I use. Not sure if you have another truck you can use the ECM off of.

I wish there was a way to test the ECM but unfortunately there is not.

Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert