Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

We have a customer with a 2010 M2 business class freightliner…

We have a customer with...

We have a customer with a 2010 M2 business class freightliner with engine #73012266 ISC Cummins it keeps getting code 2637/2639/1921 of course when 2637 occurs it stop you from doing a roadside regen & derates the engine,we had the ECM update, the DPF has been baked out twice, the catylist once, ran functional test on engine passes all the test that it prompts us to run this unit is used for road/pumping off product, probably never goes much over 100 miles at once,this is a reoccurring problem & it seem the regen intervals are becoming short like with 2/3 hrs sometime even 1 We doing a regen with Insite & 5 or 6 hours later the light is coming back on again & won't allow operator to run regen, we need solutions to this problem its tells us its the catylist however when we did a vacuum test on it it had very little restriction we believe its an up stream condition the question is what when the trouble shooting we found don't seem tell us what? XXXXX Chuck or [email protected] Fax XXXXXX

1/6/2014
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 8 years ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.please list all active and inactive faults if there are more,and I will take a look, any performance issues such as low power?

Code 2637 no check engine lamp comes on {code active} stops Aftertreatment system from working until you reset code With laptop says Catylist face is plugged we had the the cat baked & it didn't change anything So code 2639/1921 come after engine derates Engine #73012266 ISC Cummins Every 2/3 hrs of operation it reoccurs

Have you performed the reset all procedure in the ECM. What are the miles on the engine and your smoke test... Was that performed with the aftertreatment connected and than checked from the outlet of the turbo , any smoke present from either of these tests?

performed reset all procedures in ECM several times 18500 miles o engine, the Aftertreatment was not connected at smoke test it was observed at The turbo disconnected from Aftertreatment as per quickserve test procedure no smoke detect one little poof And clear, EGR dry Turbo outlet dry as well no oil consumption that aware of, cat / DPF cooked 2637 stii keeps Reoccurring

So you only have 18,500 miles on a 4 year old unit, Do you do a lot of idling?

Your NOT going to fix this issue yourself, I just looked up this units warranty claims and it shows this issue 2637 was present since 2010. Was this unit bought from Penske? I would take this unit to Cummins and advise them you still have an ongoing issue that started within the warranty period and it is still not resolved. Get a Field service engineer involved and make sure you get Cummins to pay the bill or at least help. Here is the date of the first claim for this fault code, Looks like the DOC was also replaced last known was DEC 6,2012

And here is a insert from a repair from 2011

NOTE THIS CLAIM IS WEB ELIGIBLE. FAILURE: NY CY BR NOTE** CHRIS CALLED WITH CEL AND NOT REGENNING. DLR ADVISED FC 2637*1 A. DLR TO T/S 2637 AND UPDATE. STORM,C THU, 07/07/2011 21:17 JEFF ADVISED T/SHOT 2637. 1A. NO 1B. YES 2A. NO OIIL OR FUEL 3A. NO 4A. NO SMOKE 5A. NO 5B. NO DAMAGE FOUND. 6A. YES AU90121.27 THIS IS A REPEAT FAILURE. UNIT HAS BEEN TO CUMMINS NPOWER 6 TIMES WITH SAME ISSUE. CUSTOMER IS SAYING DIST TOLD HIM DOC WAS GOING TO BE REPLACED IF NO CHANGE. CREATED ETSR AND ESC TO DTS. DUKE, D FRI, 07/08/2011 09:42 DLR HAS SENT IN DATA LOG. ESC TO DTS VISNER, R. FRI, 07/08/2011 16:45 REVIEWED. THERE ARE NO TURBO FAULTS. THE CAL IS AU90121.27 WHICH HAS THE FIXES FOR 2637. THERE IS NO SMOKE AND THE DOC WASNT PLUGGED. FOR REPEAT FAILURE DLR TO REPLACE THE DOC WITH A FACE PAINTED DOC. MINNICK, G FRI, 07/08/2011 17:07 THE DLR REPLACED THE DOC AND CURED THE COMPLAINT.ADDED THE PARTS AND THE LABOR. CLOSED. MCINTOSH, B WED, 07/13/2011 09:08

22-Dec-201081628 MICNVTR - IN MUFFLER CATALYST03522 - CUMMINS NPOWER, LLCClosed

Sorry, I gave you the wrong mileage information it has 185996 on it not 18500 are you able to get us more up to date service info on this unit this would be most helpful to me & my customer Does this change the approach we should be using to resolve this issue

Yes this drastically changes the issue you are having. I see this a lot and Cummins normally honors requests such as this. You must request a DFSE or Cummins engineer to be involved. I can only see what repairs have been done within the warranty period or what Cummins had help paid with. Here is the most recent claim. Engine Claims History : ESN 73012266

DRAINED COOLANT. REMOVED AIR PIPE. REMOVED RADIATOR SUPPORT. REMOVED AIR CLEANER AND PIPING. PULLED THE FENDER OUT. UNHOOKED WIIRING AND REMOVED ACTUATOR, NEEDED TO ACCESS THE BOLTS AND HAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO GET TURBO OUT OF CHASSIS. UNHOOKED OIL AND COOLANT LINES. REMOVED THE TURBO FROM THE ENGINE. REMOVED EGR COOLER COOLANT LINES. PULLED WATER PUMP FEED TUBE OFF. REMOVED EGR CLAMP. REMOVED THE EXHAUST PRESSURE TUBE OFF. REMOVED THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD CLEANED THE HEAD. INTALLED NEW EXHAUST MANIFOLD WITH NEW GASKETS AND TORQEUD TO SPEC. TORQUED EGR CLAMP. INSTALLED THE COOLANT LINES AND PIPES WITH NEW O-RINGS. INSTALLED THE WATER PUMP INLET PIPE. REMOVED THE CLAMPS ON THE FLEX PIPE. HAD TO CUT THE PIPE OUT. INSTALLED NEW FLEX ON TURBO PIPE AND TORQUED. REMOVE THE OTHER EXHAUST PIPE DOWN TO THE AFTERTREATMENT TO GET THE PIPE WITH NEW FLEX IN THE CHASSIS AND GET THE TURBO INSTALLED. INSTALLED THE PIPE, NEUTRALIZED THE EXHAUST AND TORQUED ALL THE CLAMPS. INSTALLED THE TURBO WITH NEW GASKET AND NUTS. HOOKED UP ALL THE OIL AND COOLANT LINES TO THE TURBO. HOOKED UP BATTERIES AND INSITE. INSTALLED AND CALIBRATED ACTUATOR WITH NEW INSTALL KIT. HOOKED UP REMAINING COOLANT LINES. FILLED COOLING SYSTEM. RAN TO CHECK LEAKS. HAD A AFTERTREATMENT TEMP SENSOR 3 FAULT. SIGNAL VOLTAGE WAS VERY LOW AS COMPARED TO THE OTHER SENSORS AT THE SAME TEMP. INSTALLED A NEW TEMP SENSOR. BACKED OUTSIDE TO REGEN AND VERIFY REPAIR AS WELL AS CLEAR THE DPF SOOT LOAD FAULT. TOOK FOR TEST DRIVE TO VERIFY CARBON MONOXIDE LEVELS WHILE REGENNING ON ROAD USING CAL TERM. CHECKED FOR FUALT CODES. NONE FOUND. WENT THROUGH FREQUENT REGEN TREE. REMOVED AFTERTREATMENT. REMOVED DPF AND SENT IT OUT FOR CLEANING. NEXT STEP REMOVE INTAKE. CHECKED GRID HEATER FOR PLUGGING. IT WAS OK. INSTALLED INTAKE. CHECKED DIF PRESSURE PORT. THEY WERE OPEN. REMOVED DOC. FOUND WASH COAT COMING OFF. REPLACED DOC. ASSEMBLED AFTERTREATMENT. RESET ALL FOR AFTERTREATMENT. PERFORMED REGEN. REGEN SUCESSFUL.

Failure Date Failure Point Primary Failure Repair Location Status 06-Dec-2012 181199 MI CNVTR - IN MUFFLER CATALYST 03522 - CUMMINS NPOWER, LLC Closed 06-Dec-2012 181199 MI EXH SYSTEM - EXH MANIFLD SLIP JOINT 03522 - CUMMINS NPOWER, LLC Closed 06-Dec-2012 181199 MI CNVTR - IN MUFFLER CATALYST 03522 - CUMMINS NPOWER, LLC Closed 06-Dec-2012 181199 MI EXH SYSTEM - EXH MANIFLD SLIP JOINT 03522 - CUMMINS NPOWER, LLC Closed 02-Nov-2012 179718 MI FUEL LINES - PRESS LINE CHECK VLV 30171 - PENSKE TRUCK LEASING CO. Closed 02-Nov-2012 179718 MI SPD & POS - SPEED SENSOR 30171 - PENSKE TRUCK LEASING CO. Closed 19-Aug-2011 118885 MI WATER PUMP - SEAL 30171 - PENSKE TRUCK LEASING CO. Closed 07-Jul-2011 113004 MI CNVTR - IN MUFFLER CATALYST 10611 - FARGO FREIGHTLINER Closed 13-Apr-2011 98032 MI ECM CAL - ECM CODE CALIBRATION 03522 - CUMMINS NPOWER, LLC Closed 13-Apr-2011 98032 MI SPECIAL - INTERMITTENT PROBLEM 03522 - CUMMINS NPOWER, LLC Closed

I will contact Cummins in the AM for an DFSE & get back with you then, thanks for your help how can I reach you tomorrow please reply i will be glad to rate you when we get this either resolved or figure out the next step we should be taking such maybe getting Cummins involved

Yes please contact me VIA this Post. I found a updated warranty history for you.

graphic

cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

Is there a absolute way to check the cat for being defective that you are aware of since this is a code saying the cat is plugged when we have every reason to believe it isn't, still waiting to hear from Cummins

The only way the cat fails is either it is cracked or cannot be cleaned 100%, same for the DPF, In my time I have seen these hard to diagnose after treatment faults to be bad injectors or failed ecm/wiring thinking there is a problem. I would have Cummins run on a Dyno with the after treatment disconnected and check for smoke under a load causing the "plugging" IF you replace one injector replace them all as I think there is a revised injector for this engine. or swap ecm's and see if there is a change do you have a test ecm or another unit the same model same engine?

I have access to a dyno my question is if we unhook the exhaust pipe where it goes in cat to observe smoke,how much smoke if any under load are we suppose to be seeing & how does the VGT react to not seeing the DPF system?

We have access to a dyno if we unhook the exhaust pipe where it goes in the cat is this going to affect the VGT EGR ETC funtionality, also should you see any visible smoke while running on dyno with load against engine, if I'm expired on this subscription please let me know I'll probably get a longer term one thanks for your input please reply ASAP 2nd request!

For testing it will not hurt if the system is unhooked,there shouldn't be excessive smoke or haze,if so try to isolate to a cylinder you don't have to run the dyno long to see make sure you start cold and get to operating temperature for the tests

you advised to run on dyno & observe smoke, we have access to dyno,if we unhook exhaust where it goes in cat,or is this even the correct way to do it,will this affect the functionality on the VGT & other related Exhaust/fuel input system, engine ISC 73012266 Code 2637 185993 miles M2 Freightliner business class

Optional Information:
What Have You Tried So Far?: Removed the cat,cooked out 3 times,cooked out the cat,both had very little vacuum restriction the last time this was done,checked by a machine designed for this purpose & by some who cleans quite a few of these system cats/DPFs,ran troulble shooting for code 2637 as per Quickserve,checked for no load smoke at turbo,none,checked EGR dry we think it upstream problem the cat was replaced about 5000 miles back Also 2639/1921 Code also appear CEL as well derates engine and won't regen with cab switches,need to reset it with laptop & run regen seems like the intervals are getting shorter like 2-3 hrs all this info was given previously on this same unit the question now is if I want to run the smoke test on dyno to check for smoke we think at 5 of these injectors are the originals, the # has been superseded so we don't think the latest is in this unit,however we don't have any way to tell if they are the culprits since they past the test with Insite in shop,we think the dyno sounds like the next step however we want to be as sure as possible it is being done right, the injectors are quite expensive & only want to go there if it the fix

Detail Required: HIGH; Urgency: HIGH

For testing it will not hurt if the system is unhooked from the back of the turbo or cat inlet you are only looking for excessive smoke not performance.The testing should not take more than 15 min. there shouldn't be excessive smoke or haze,if so try to isolate to a cylinder you don't have to run the dyno long to see make sure you start cold and get to operating temperature for the test

We think it smokes excessively on acceleration however it seem to clear pretty well when reach RPM at about 25 % load, also do you know if 35 Lbs of boost is about normal for this application, the injectors are all the updated #s on this unit,with about 100000 miles on them,have you seen any track record on these updated as far as how long they last, we're leaning toward thinking this may be an ECM /Wiring condition because if the catylist was actually getting plugged & it won't go through dash regen why does is not reveal this when we took cat off & had a restriction test done on it it had very little restriction unless for some reason cummins has a lower than normal restriction limit, I actually watched the guy test & it like .3 or restriction below clean & this cat was replaced about 1000 - 1500 miles before my customer purchased this unit it now has about 4500- 5000 miles on it. we're thinking we should try a test ECM & see if this changes anything we not seeing the injector as the culprit it is difficult to isolate these injector on the dyno cause when you short one it take the engine RPM down about 800 just looking to get another view on this thanks Jim I

Ok