Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2007 Peterbilt with a C15 Caterpillar 475 hp (eng sn#MXS79829).

Have a dead miss at...
2007 Peterbilt with a C15 Caterpillar 475 hp (eng sn#MXS79829). Have a dead miss at the #2 cylinder. With the injector powered it has a dead miss and is smoking. When I shut the #2 injector off with ET the smoke stops. Seems like the smoke is unburnt fuel. Ran the overhead and replaced the #2 injector. Replaced the cam position sensor and the ECM and nothing has changed, still missing and smoking. The smoke is a puffing type smoke and is whitish grey in color. Motor has 280k miles and no blow by coming out of the crank case breather tube. When stared cold, it will run fine for about 30 second to a minute then all of a sudden it starts missing and puffing.
9/4/2013
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 9 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.

The first thing I would suspect is you have a faulty intake valve actuator/cat brake. I have seen this before.

Since the engine starts up fine initially, I would not suspect a valve problem or else it would start up missing and smoking. The reason it takes 30 seconds for the IVA to malfunction is because the IVA system is running a leak test at start up that last 30 seconds. Once the test is over, the IVA starts causing the problem.

The best way to verify is to move the IVA /Brake housing from 1 and 2 to 3 and 4. If the smoke and miss goes to number 4. You will know the IVA housing is the problem. If it stays at 2, there is a problem in the cylinder.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Do I have to reset the actuator clearances when swapping the bodies just to run for a minute or two in testing to see if the problems moves to number 4?

Hey Scott.

To be honest I like to reset the clearances. This will make a good test. If they are not adjusted, it may not run good enough to verify.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert