Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor on a Freightliner Cjhassis,

Allison 6speed and a 330...
I have a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor on a Freightliner Cjhassis, Allison 6speed and a 330 Cummins. On my last trip, the weather was bad and it was raining very hard. The cruise control was on and set at 65. The speedometer began bouncing around from 25 to 85, but the rpm on the engine stayed consistant at 1750rpm. I turned off the cruise control and the speedometer continued to bounce around for a while but did eventually resume to normal operation. Does anyone have an idea of what could cause the speedometer to malfunction?
3/28/2013
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 9 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Hi Steve. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

I believe the tech at the dealership you talked to may be correct.

Most likely there is a exposed wire or exposed connection somewhere in the vehicle speed sensor circuit. I have seen this before. When dry the speedometer circuit works fine but in wet conditions, the water gets on the exposed area and cause a sort and erratic signal. When this happens the speedometer will either quit working all together or jump around as yours has.

I would inspect the vehicle speed sensor on the back of the transmission and make sure is has good connections and insect the wiring as well.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Cat Man,

The likelyhood of the spedo being bad is not high correct? Most likely a short in the wires or a loos connection. Is this something I can fix or should I have the tech do the inspection and repair. I have some experience with manual transmissions in a conventional tractor setup, but none with a a diesel pusher and automatic allison.

Steve

Yes Steve you are correct. I would not suspect the speedo head. It's possible but not likely. Especially since it did it when it was wet.

You should inspect the wiring first. You may see an obviuis problem and not need no one else to look at it for you.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert