Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

When I had a scan tool hooked to my SDP c15 it said #4 VIVA head was not functioning?

When I had a scan...
When I had a scan tool hooked to my SDP c15 it said #4 VIVA head was not functioning. It would not test as there was a hard fault. Pulled cover and Actuator,not cracked all solenoids test same ohms wires all look good ,can't find any broken or abraided wires ,where do I go next?
12/23/2012
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 9 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Hi Robert. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Could you tell me the exact fault code number for the number 4 VVA?

Was it one of the following.

288-5 IVA current low

288-6 IVA current high

288-7 IVA not responding

I believe it was 288-7 not responding

I see. Thanks for the information Robert.

I see these codes a lot. This is basically a mechanical failure code. That is why the wires all looked good and the solenoid Ohmed good.

There are 2 things that can cause this code.

The first and most common is a failed IVA solenoid. Even though it will Ohm good and past the solenoid click test, it is the mechanical part on the bottom that can fail. I always replace this solenoid first. They come as a pair.

If the solenoid does not fix the problem, there is a mechanical failure in the IVA housing itself. It will need to be replaced.

9 times out of 10 the solenoid fixes the -7 not responding code.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Hey Robert.

The Cat part number for the IVA solenoid kit is

10R-7302

They are not hard to put on. The kit comes with 2 solenoids. \

Let me know if you need more help.

What is torque specs for hold down bolt and nuts?

Hey Robert.

Are you wanting the IVA housing hold down torques?

Yes

Sure not problem Robert.

The Large nuts and single bolt torque to 75 foot pounds.

The small nuts torque to 35 foot pounds.

Let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

Thank you Really appreciate the info

Robert

You are very welcome Robert. I am happy I could help.

If you ever need any more help on your Cat engine. Just start your question with "This question is for Catman" and I will be sure to get it. Have a great holiday.

I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU CAME UP WITH THOSE TORQUES BUT YOU ARE WAY OUT.

Hi Robert. I got the torques straight out if the manual. I am positive they are correct.

Did someone tell you a different torque?

May I ask what it was?

I assume someone may have gave you the torque turn spec for the studs.

The large studs in the rocker arm assembly torque to 37 foot pounds then turn an additional 45 degrees. The other stud between the two small stud torques to 48 foot pounds. The two small studs torque to 35 foot pounds.

Then the 1/2 nuts and single 1/2 bolt that hold the IVA/Cat Brake down torque to 75 foot pounds. The two small 3/8 nuts torque to 35 foot pounds.

Please reply back if you need more help. I am happy to assist.