Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

cat man mxs engine it is reading low oil pressure for the intake…

cat man mxs engine it...
cat man mxs engine it is reading low oil pressure for the intake actuators. So I did what I did on the kcb c13 disconected speed sensors and cranked it over looking for a leak. I didn't see anything. I was really looking at the supply tubes. Is there another spot that I should look? also does that diverted valve need to be in a position? is it routing oil thru there or not? What is the best way to test that?
11/27/2012
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 10 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi Pat. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

The leak can come at two other locations.

One is under one of the IVA's. if there is a leak there it can be hard to see.

The other is at the IVA control valve. It should no be leaking. You may see a little oil coming out of it, but not a lot. If you see a lot, the valve is the problem.

Let me know if you need more help.

What is the iva control valve? Is that the one on the outside of the rocker box next to the oil pressure sending unit? and as far as the leak under the iva is it something that I can take the iva off and look for a bad oring? I was going to change the oring for the supplies while I was in there. Its just hard to test this because you have to get it under load for it to fail.

So i assume that the oilis flowing thru all of this while I al cranking it over?

Yes that is correct. The valve has two wires and is right beside the IVA sensor near the front.

Yes oil flows through the valve while cranking. You should be able to see the end of the valve when you have the valve cover off.

The MXS IVA's do not leak often from underneath. If it does, the housing is cracked. If it is cracked, it should be easy to see once you remove them.

Ok you can see the end of that valve there is a hole in the wall of the rocker box and I assume that is the other port that oil can be diverted to run out of. I have seen the iva cracked under where the solenoid goes but in that case it said the solenoid wasn't functioning correctly and I replaced the iva. Well I will pull iva and look.

Sounds good Pat. Let me know if you need more help.

OK I didn't see any cracks and the orings look good. I pulled all the solenoids and didn't see any cracks. Basically how this all started was I fixed the pins in plug for oil pressure sensor and the driver drove it about an hour then the ck engine light came on low oil pressure and the engine derated. Is there something else I should look for? Also the torques are 37 and 90 degrees for 1/2 studs and bolts and then the 2 - 3/8" are 37ftlbs?

I have the studs torque to 37 foot pounds then 45 degrees. The small 3/8 are 35 foot pounds. The large nuts and bolt is 75 foot pounds. If there are no leaks you can see while cranking, it is possible the IVA sensor or IVA control valve may be acting up. I have seen this before. The tuff part is you have to try a sensor and valve to verify. I have some extra ones I use to troubleshoot. I hate throwing parts but I have seen these act up before when there is no leak. I most often see a faulty sensor do this.

Ya I will change the IVA pressure sensor I have another one here. I did the orings while I had it apart. Now I just want to make sure the other day I did a bxs and the torques on those you said was 37 and then 90degrees for the bolts and nuts? Just want to make sure that I didn't over torque those.

Yeah that is the torque on the BXS. But the torque on an MXS is different.

Let me know if you need more help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Thanks glad I asked the torque instead of going with the bxs ones. I guess I will see what happens. changed the orings and the pressure sensor.

As always, you are very welcome Pat.

Yeah the torque is different on a BXS than an MXS.

Let me know if you need more help.