Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Hello I have a Cat C-7 ( E.S.N C7S09800 ) this unit came in…

Hello I have a Cat...
Hello I have a Cat C-7 ( E.S.N C7S09800 ) this unit came in with a 3473-31 codes Aftermeant #1 failed to ingite, in the past when this code comes up we replaced the ARD head and filter fittings and force a regen and it's back on the road. But this time I can not get the code to reset in ECM so I can not force a regen. when I try to reset it I get an error saying this Program is not authorized to change the value of this parameter. any thoughts on what to do next?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2012
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 10 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Is this the only code in the ECM?

it is under the Active dianostic codes tab there is

Under the loged dianostic codes there is a 1110-31

No active events

Logged events 111-17 , 190-15 , 310-1 , 310-0

Thanks for the information Leo.

If it is active, the system is most likely having trouble igniting. Like it is trying to regen but can't.

If it is failing to ignite, there is most likely another problem with the system.

You are correct in replacing the ARD head for this problem but there may be another problem. Like a failed transformer for the spark plug.

Do you have a spark plug tester you can connect to the spark plug wire? If so, you should check the spark. If the transformer has failed, the will not be a spark.

If you do have a spark, you may have a bad ARD head out if the box. I have had this happen to me before.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions.

I did check spark and it had a good strong spark. are there anyother things you can think of. the virson of ET I have id 2010a 1.0 when i connect to the unit i get this message ( Unable to find an exact match for the C7 Truck (C7S09800) software version found in the ECM. The integrity of changed parameters and displayed data is not guaranteed. Choose the OK button to continue. ) could the isssue be i dont have a new enough virsion?

I see thanks for the information.

If you are getting that message it means the engine has later software in it than your version.

It is very possible your 2010 version is the problem. Many times when Cat updates engine software, the new software has compatability issues with older ET. Sorry. I see this happen from time to time.

You may have to get someone with a later version of ET to try and clear the code. Sorry.

Do you know what the latest virsion is so i can work on getting it?

Yes. They latest version should be 2012B.

Let me know if you need more help.

one more Question. I just got the active code to go inactie, and tryed to force a regen and I got a 4077-18 AFT #1 fUEL pRESSURE #2 : Low- moderate severity?

I see.

A 4077 is indicating there is a fuel pressure issue. This code can be caused by several things. They are:

Fuel enable valve. Most common.

Main control valve.

Pilot control valve.

The trouble shooting basically has you replace each one of these one at a time. They do this because there isn't anyway to troubleshoot them to determine which one is the problem. I most often find the fuel enable valve the problem.

Let me know if you need more help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Hey Leo,

I forgot to mention the fuel filters too. If they are plugged it can also cause this problem. The fuel pressure to the high pressure pump should be at least 65 psi. There is a quick connect fitting there to check the pressure

If the pressure and filters are OK, Then I would proceed with the Pilot Valve, Fuel Enable valve and so on.